Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

what is the story of sleeping beauty?

a summary!!!

please!

Favorite Answer

A girl is born to a King and Queen, and the evil witch casts a spell on her. She will prick her finger on a spinning wheel when she's 17 or 18 (I can't recall which) and then she will fall into a deep sleep that only her true love can get her out of. They send her into hiding but eventually she does prick her finger, and then her true love awakens her later.

There's probably more accurate versions out there, but I was born in the '90s and watched the Disney versions of fairy tales so that's what I know. :)

There's two story versions: Disney and the original.

The original is a bit less...fluffy. Not all hugs and kisses like Disney makes it out to be, but the overall story is that a princess is cursed by a dark witch on her showing a few days after her birth. The witch protrays that the girl will, on the eve of her sixteenth birthday, prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel and fall into a deep sleep, along with the entire town. Only true loves kiss will lift the spell. I think that the witch was supposed to take out the prince or something so that the town would never awaken.

♥Graceful Little Alice♥

Ok the story starts at her birth. Her parents invite all the fairies of her kingdom to the celebration. They fail to invite the one evil witch who curses her to death at the age of 16 from pricking her finger on a spinning wheel needle. One of the fairies softens the curse (she can't break it) to she will sleep for a 100 years. When it happens all the kingdom falls asleep with her.

When she was born she was promised in marriage to a prince of a neighboring kingdom (oh and hey take the vcr too) who without knowing it is her hears the story and fights his way through magic thorn bushes to save her. She is awakened by loves first kiss. They marry...the end.

Iam told it is based on a true story about a Princess who actually fell ill and went into a coma. When she was left unguarded she was attacked by someone and bore twin children without waking...but I don't know if that is true.

Wiki has a summary of the version I grew up with (Perrault's): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Beauty I did see the Disney version but the first time I read it it was Perrault's (where a prince woke her up 100 years after)

I didn't get to learn about the 2nd version until much later.

• Sela C

If you ever get a chance to read a different retelling, try SPINDLE'S END by Robin McKinley.