X-ray tech or ultrasound tech?

which one is best? and how much do you make with each?

8 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You are the only one who can decide what is best for you. I highly recommend you do an observation in both a hospital imaging department and a free standing imaging facility. Until you see what RTs or sonographers do, you won't know if it is the job for you! It would also give you a wonderful opportunity to talk to those who are in the field in your area.

    There are many schools in many states where you can get trained to be a radiologic technologist (the proper term for a x-ray tech). You can attend a hospital based program (and earn a certificate), a 2 year college program (AS degree), and even a 4 year college program (BS degree). The hospital based programs are the least expensive, and honestly, I think the education received there is superior. Once you graduate and take your registry exam, no future employer is going to care what type of educational program you went through. All they care about is your license. You can find an accredited RT program at this site. Just search "radiography" and your state...links are provided which will give you additional information on each program (cost, duration of program, contact person):


    RTs do more than just x-rays of bones. We do fluoroscopy studies (involving the intestinal tract and barium), arthrograms (assisting the radiologist with injecting contrast or dye into joints for evaluation) and myelograms (assisting the radiologist with injecting contrast into the spinal canal). If you work in a hospital setting, you will do portable exams in ICU, CCU, the ER and even surgery. Some RTs take x-rays in the morgue.

    Most RTs will also become proficient and licensed in other modalities, such as mammography, CT and/or MRI. This training does not require any additional formal training, and is usually learned on the job. The more licenses you have, the more money you can make, as you will be in higher demand. With additional schooling, you can also do ultrasound.

    When thinking about entering an ultrasound program, you need not be concerned so much about certificate vs. degree. What is important is that you go to an ACCREDITED program, whether it is college or hospital based. An accredited program allows you to take your registry (licensing) exams upon graduation. Once you get licensed, you will never be asked about your schooling again. An employer does not care what route you take to get licensed, they just want you to have that license.

    Don't waste your time or money on a NON-accredited program. Upon completion and graduation from a NON-accredited program, you must work in the field of sonography for a full year prior to taking your licensing examinations. But, you will have a hard time finding an employer to hire you, unless you are licensed.

    You can find a list of accredited schools in your area, by searching "diagnostic medical sonography" and your state at the following site. There are links provided for each program, which will give you additional information (including course duration and prerequisite courses):


    Well, I work in a free standing imaging center. My office is only open M-F, 8:00-5:00. No weekends, nights or call work. In a hospital, most imaging departments are staffed 24 hours a day. You could be scheduled to work nights, PM shifts, weekends, holidays....anytime really!

    Oh, another good resource....check out the student area of the ASRT website:


    And the ARRT:


    Sonographers make more money than RTs. The American Society of Radiologic Technologists just did a large salary survey, in 2007. The salary varies, depending on your experience, specialties and geographical area. To view, the survey, and see the average salary in your state, you can go to this link:


    Source(s): I am a RT and sonographer.....
  • alire
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Sonogram Tech Salary

  • 4 years ago

    Sonography Tech Salary

  • 5 years ago

    This Site Might Help You.


    X-ray tech or ultrasound tech?

    which one is best? and how much do you make with each?

    Source(s): ray tech ultrasound tech: https://tinyurl.im/cxX3l
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Beckee
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Sonogram techs are in high demand. My sister's a radiologist, and she says a good sonogram tech can make $80K.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    I believe you have to go for 2 years but don't quote me on that. I think its an associates degree. I know at least for an radiologist technician it is

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Ultrasound, also called Sonography: Salary range is $40,960 - 77,520


    X-ray, also called Radiology: Salary range is $32,700 - 68,900


  • 1 decade ago

    Acutal a nuclear tech is the new best it pays high than both! vote for obama!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.