Boyfriend has problems in his family, so depressed, idk what to tell him?

My boyfriend's two female cousins are like older sisters to him. They always took care of him when he was younger, they have always been there for him. They are now 23 and 25 and he is 19. One of them has kids, but her husband cheats on her. She hates him. The other doesn't have children, but her husband beats her. My boyfriend poured his heart out to me yesterday and I began to cry because 1) he told me his family matters and 2) i know exactly what they are going through. My father has cheated on my mom countless number of times and my best friend's father has put her mom in the emergency room so many times. I felt his pain and started crying because I had no idea what to do. I felt how helpless he was feeling, because I felt the same way. He wants to do something about it so badly, but he doesn't know what to do. Help us?

Favorite Answer

one of the big things that you can do it jsut be there for him! also as you said that you've gone through alot in the past with your family...show/tell him some metheds that helped you move on and recover from it! all of the things that are happening to his family is ALOT to take in at once, he needs comfort and understanding! Theres alot that happends in this world that we have no control over...so the best thing that i can say to that is to just be his sholder to cry on, lift his spirts the best way you can, keep him busy,and try convicing him to tell his cousins to seek help.

The only thing he can and should do is live his own life.

He cannot control what his sisters (cousins) do and they probably wouldn't listen to him anyway. If he tried, they would all end up hating him.

No one can control anyone else or make good decisions for them. You are wasting your life to be depressed or worry about adults making their own mistakes.

What he needs to do is to take the lessons he is learning about their mistakes and not make them in his own life.