Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

Vista Xp dual boot help PLEASE?

Ok i was dual booting Vista and Linux (ubuntu 8.04), so i inserted the xp disc, wiped of ubuntu, and installed xp in its place (so it would be Vista/Xp), then it only loaded in xp, so i inserted Vista disc and repaired, now it only boots in Vista, how do i install it (or now i have both on the hard drive), so it will come up with the option to choose which OS to use.

Also when i was in XP i could see into Vista drive, but in Vista i cant see into XP is this normal.

Cheers in advance, i really want to dual boot both OS, and with the option to choose which OS i want, without losing any information

Thanks again

I belive the progrma youll need is OpenBCD, this add's a boot loader (like grub that will have come wiht ubuntu)

then you should be able to use both systems.

ive only ever Dual booted Linux n windows, never xp n Vista, but i heard Open BCD is hte tool forthe job.

hope this help's

Downloaded and tried only says i have vista though.

davidson...

right click "my computer" or in vista "computer" and go to properties. in sytem properties goto the advanced tab. and click settings under startup and recovery. in here there should be a drop down box to select which operating system the computer boots to. the should be a setting for how long it displays operating systems. make sure its checked and set it for about 30 seconds. I have done vista xp dual boots and this is what you need to do.

Sam again only has vista as the default, and cannot change as there are no more choices

Favorite Answer

Ok so the point that you are at is good. You need to download a program called VistabootPro, its completely free and can be found at http://www.vistabootpro.org/

This will sort you out.

• Dean B

hope this help's

Ok Making Dual boot OS

Source(s): You Should make a partition of Your Primary Memory by going on to Manage on My computer by right clicking on My Computer Now Select/Expand the Storage on the right side of Dialog box. Select Disk Management Now see on right side and shrink the C Drive and make it Unallocated & then make a New Sample volume and name it as you want XP/Vista and install it into other primary storage.