Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

how long does one boil an egg for? hard boiled? soft boiled? thanks?

i know, i cant even boil an egg lol oh well, whatever :-P

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My uncle (may he rest in peace), was a brilliant egg-boiler :-).

Put your eggs in a pan, cover with cold water . . . from the MOMENT the water starts to boil, set your timer for 5 minutes. Once the 5 minutes is up, slowly cool your eggs under room temperature - running water from the tap until the eggs do not feel 'hot' yet. Enjoy!!

Source(s): The Gov
    • Login to reply the answers
  • soule
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

How Long To Boil An Egg

• ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Boil Egg Time

• 1 decade ago

I usually put the egg into a pan of cold water, enough to cover the egg, bring to the boil, switch off the heat then time for 2 to 2 1/2 mins depending on size of egg. For hard boiled I leave it another 5 mins or until the water is cool.

If you have gas you may need to add another min.

When you remove the egg from the water the shell will start to dry straight away when it's cooked.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Depends on size of egg, and if it's been stored in the fridge or room temp - add on at least half a minute if from the fridge.. And you can boil egg fROM cold water or place it in when a rolling boil, then simmer. I suggest from a rolling boil as depending on the heat, you can not be sure how long it will take for the egg to sit in the pan before reaching a boil.

4 minutes - soft yolk, but not "snotty" - all white is solid.

6 minutes - firmer, say, inner half of yolk soft - nice for sandwiches.

8 minutes - hard boiled.

Do not leave hard boiled in the pan of water as it cools - this can cause a nasty sulphur smell when shelling.

Take care with youngsters and the elderly or anyone vulnerable with soft eggs, as salmonella can be a problem for these groups.

Happy Easter, bunny!

• 4 years ago

Bring eggs to room temperature before using. If the egg has been stored in the refrigerator it can be warmed gently under a flowing hot tap. Place sufficient water to cover the eggs in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Lower the eggs carefully into the water, using a tablespoon. When the water reboils, start timing and reduce the heat so that the water simmers gently. Fast boiling makes the wgg ehite tough and causes the egg to bang against each other and crack. Timing boiled eggs depends on the size and degree of hardness desired. You should start timing the eggs from the moment the water first boils. Soft-boiled (soft whites, soft yolks): Large size: 3 minutes 20 seconds. Medium size: 3 minutes. Small size: 2 minutes 40 seconds. Medium-boiled (hard whites, soft yolks): Large size: 4 minutes 15 seconds. Medium size: 3 minutes 50 seconds. Small size: 3 minutes 20 seconds. Hard-boiled (hard whites, hard yolks): Large size: 10 minutes. Medium size: 8 minutes. Small size: 7 minutes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Firstly, if the egg has come out of the fridge put it in cold water, if it's room temp you need to boil the water first.

Hard boiled takes about 7 minutes but it's ok to leave it longer just to be sure. If you boil them too long they go grey around the yolk. Still fine to eat just looks a bit yucky.

Here's my secret method for soft boiled eggs.... Get your egg from the fridge and put it in a small pan and cover with cold water and a little salt in the water. Heat on high. When big bubbles start to reach the waters surface (rolling boil) put your toast down. When the toast pops up butter it and take your egg out of the water. It should be perfect. Takes a bit of practice depending on the size of the egg but once you get the hang of it you cant fail.

Source(s): I've been working on this for a while now!
  • don c
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

dot has the answer recommended by the egg branch of the dairy association. Another good way of getting a "medium" boiled egg (nothing runny and not hardened to leather) is

Cover the egg or two with cold tap water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat and let it stand until the water is cool. If you do this once and record the times you will not have to "watch the egg" every time..just set the timer.

• 1 decade ago

put egg in pan, cover it with cold water, bring the water to boiland time fro 3 minutes. this is for soft egg, 5 mins should get you a hard boiled egg! Don't worry about not knowing how to cook, at least you ask when you need to know!

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axZ8E

Boil them for 3 to 6 minutes for soft-boiled, depending upon how "soft" you like them. If you go to a full 15 minutes, you're talking "hard" boiled eggs here.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.