Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 1 decade ago

What does hard drive RPM matter? I understand storage capacity (GB) and storage/transfer rate (bps) But RPM?

Storage capacity is obviously an important component. But aside from that, when talking speed... what matters is the rate by which you access, seek, store, transfer data to and from the hard drive. I just dont get what the actual physical rotations per minute matter to anything.

Favorite Answer

The faster the RPM's the fasterthe heads cover the actual area of the HDD storage space. That is what seeking is.

The heads must find the address of a file before is can be transfered or more data stored at that location.

The longer it takes to seek the longer between transfers the slower your computer is whenever the hafd drive is active.

My HP 5530 laptop is 5 years old. It cost 1200. new and had a 2.65 GHz Pentium 4 cpu with 500MB DDR Ram memory and a 40 GB HDD at 4200 RPM.

I have worked with computers for years and I did not know they even made anything slower than 5400 RPM at that time.

I replaced it with a 7200 RPM 130 GB HDD and doubled the memory and now it flies.

It is getting out of date with all the now advances in internet browsers and antivirus programs so it won't last me much longer but the RPMs on the HDD are very important.

Source(s): A+ Cert. 1996
  • Randy

Information is stored in sectors and clusters located within the actual spinning disk plates within your hard drive. The more plates, or the tighter the info can get packed on the hard drive, the more data it can hold.

At the same time, the faster the platters spin and the read/write heads seek out that data the faster the hard drive will work. A 20 Gb hard drive with a slower RPM will work slower (by finding your stored information slower) then a 20 Gb hard drive with a faster RPM. By spinning faster you can access, seek, store and transfer information faster within that hard drive and thereby within your computer. Its all part of the same process.

its the same as a rpm in a car rotations per minute. the higher the number the faster the disc spins and the faster the drive.

what the other two said is true, but honestly unless you seriously need killer fast data access, you're not going to notice the difference in speed.

think of this;

accessing a system that is turning

1,000 rpm takes more time than

one that is turning at 15,000 rpm.

Does that help?

the faster the rpm, the faster the

system accesses data.

ONE would think that it would be

the opposite-- the faster, the

harder to get to. but it not.

Allows it to access more data quicker.