Is it a sin to get tattoos, or other body piercings?

I am a christian, and they don't talk about that kind of thing at my church. So would it be considered a sin to want to get a tattoo or body piercing such as belly button or nose?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Yes.As soon as that needle pricks you,you're damned to eternity in hell.Don't we have a loving God?

• 1 decade ago

I'm a Christian too and this is a really complicated subject. It is NOT a sin, but many people will try to make you feel like it is. So if you're planning on getting one or however many you want make sure you are ready for judgemental people from your church. I've had friends who lived only for God and they were kicked out of close-minded churches for having tattoos and piercings. If you're still unsure about it though talk to God about it, he'll let you know what's right.

• sheba
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

No. this is merely a cultural element. some see issues like clothing you may placed directly to party, uncovered tattoos and piercings as disrespectful of sacred circumstances and places. you're able to stay in the type of community lifestyle. flow to a bigger city the place such issues are often no longer observed or are chalked as much as youthful indiscretion (and tolerated) and not taken as an insult. So the priest thinks which you lack admire for sacred places and circumstances. He could be ideal or incorrect. you recognize no count number if he became or no longer. don't be so naive as to think of that a clergyman is on no account incorrect, and if he became ideal, do no longer think of that his judgment became uncalled for. Sacred places and circumstances could be recognised (if no longer for your self, for the sake of others around you.)

• 6 years ago

Of course it is a sin, according to the Bible.

Leviticus 19:28 says: "You shall not make any gashes in your flesh for the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

Anyone who gets a tattoo is lying and a hypocrite if they claim that they do what the Bible says.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. The Bible says do not trash your temple (your body). Getting one or two piercings or a tattoo is not bad at all and definitely not as sin. Trashing your temple is like getting drunk or doing drugs....doing something to actually damage your body. So no, getting those are not a sin.

• 1 decade ago

to get tattoos it is a sin. its in the book of Leviticus verse 19-28

• 1 decade ago

it depends on the person really.

but honestly, if you want to get something done,

you should go right ahead..

its your life, you get to decide what to do with it.

if you dont think its a sin then go ahead and do it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your body is a temple, you must respect it! Yes It is a sin.

I've listed a few other sins too! :)

*Pride (As in thinking much of yourself!)

*Wrath (As in hate, wanting to kill someone)

*Lust (Lust is any intense desire or craving for gratification and excitement.)

*Gluttony (Derived from the Latin gluttire, meaning to gulp down or swallow, gluttony is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste. Excessive desire for food, or its withholding from the needy.)

*Greed (Greed (or avarice, covetousness) is, like lust and gluttony, a sin of excess.)

*Sloth (described a feeling of dissatisfaction or discontent, which caused unhappiness with one's current situation. Basicly Lazy! ((Emotions)

*Envy (Jealousy)

• 1 decade ago

I don't think it is a sin

So long as you don't over do it and cover yourself in them it should be ok

• 1 decade ago

I think people in the bible had them. But you aren't damned to eternity in hell for getting a piercing...

• 1 decade ago

no people in the Bible had piercing and tatoos they viewed them as a thing of beauty

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.