Bank Account to another bank account?

So I need to send money to my mother. I wanted to send it form my account to hers. I need it done really fast. Is there an online transfer service or something I can use??

Favorite Answer

There are a few options.

I'll assume your accounts are not at the same bank/financial institution so an online transfer is out of the question.

One option is an ACH transfer. This is usually free by a bank, and easy to request. The downside is, it can take up to 72 business hours to actually transfer.

The last and probably most realistic option is a Wire Transfer. Just go to your bank, fill out the form they require and the money will be in your mothers account in a few hours. More than likely, you'll have to pay a fee, and she may have to pay a fee to get the wire as well. You will need the routing number (if she uses a "big" bank, like Bank of America, etc. Do NOT have her take it off her check, have her call to get the correct routing number as they use certain numbers only for Wires, and you'll end up getting rejected) and account number, and name of bank where the money is going. You may be able to do it via phone or fax but generally a signature is required. Call and check.

If all else fails, Western Union.

You could start with your own bank. I have done ACH transfers between my own accounts. But you may need to check if they will do a direct transfer to an account with different name, or if they would end up mailing a check instead of direct transfer.

Make absolutely certain that you have the correct routing number (from check, NOT deposit slip) and account number, or you may end up giving an unknown party a gift.