Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Baby Shower Invitation Wording: Rude?

My mother is throwing me a baby shower in about two months. Would it be rude to include on the invitation "No clothes, please"? We have already bought her so many clothes, and she won't get to wear half of them as it is. I'm worried that everyone would give me clothes, instead of what we registered for (such as bottles, crib sheets, a baby moniter, etc.) I went to a friend's shower recently and thats all she got was clothes.

Favorite Answer

Maybe says something like "Baby's closet is bursting at the seams with pink but we're registered for other fun things at blah blah and blah"

Baby Shower Invites Wording

Wording For Baby Shower Invitations

no it wouldn't be rude to say you don't need more baby clothes but I would phrase it in another way than just "no clothes, please"as this seems - to me - a bit cold. I would add why ..in a funny & cute way...because you already received enough of them from the dotting grandmas.

In Europe, for a baby shower, we make up a list of specific things (sizes, colours, nbrs, etc...) mum & baby need or may need. This list is then posted in one of the shops selling baby articles (Mother Care, Macy's, Nordstrom, etc...) so that, your guests can check it out and offer you something within their budget. \you'll get what you want and your guests will be sure to offer you something that you will really value & use and this within their budget.

On the invitation , you'll just have to write that your "baby Shower list" is in e.g. Macy's in Denver or wherever. In most cases, these shops will give you a 10 % or more voucher on the total of the sales they made with your list.

This is a win-win situation for all parties concerned.

Engagement, wedding, house warming shower or baby shower lists are very common in Europe. As a matter of fact, people expect them. I do not know if this is the case in the USA but, maybe, you may like to start a new trend :)

Just make sure that your list includes articles in different price ranges. (from cheap - e.g. a pacifier - to more expensive e.g. a crib, a bed, a pram, etc..)

Enjoy your little bundle of Joy!

Hope this help.

Edit : it is not because you include a baby shower list on your invitation that your friends have to be feel obligated to buy from it but it will give them an idea of what you'll need or wish. Also (ref. to some of the other answers), new parents have a baby shower to show of their new addition to their family...not to get gifts but, let's remain honest, guests will bring gifts so make everybody happy : parents will get what they need for their baby and the guests will know that what they offer (sometimes with their hard earned money) will be appreciated.

Source(s): a very happy mum

It would be rude to put that on your invitations. I was worried about the same thing - we had so many clothes we couldn't fit them all in a dresser and closet. Seriously, a ton of clothes. Turned out that it was a blessing! It made it so we didn't have to do her laundry very often, since that was pretty much the last thing we wanted to do. Then when she blew through several outfits a day, it wasn't a big deal. She wore all of them, except the ugly stuff, lots of times. So don't worry about it!

And I got a lot of clothes for the shower, but a lot of stuff I did register for. Just have your mom spread the word that you need baby stuff, not so much clothes, and that should do the trick!

Since your Mother is throwing the baby shower for you, leave it up to her to tell each invitee that NO CLOTHES ARE REQUESTED and where you are registered. That way, even if someone takes it badly, you can blow it off, with Mom was only "trying to help" and no one will be bothered that ir was you being rude. Mothers have a way of getting things across without ruffling too many feathers, and even if they do, they don't really care! LOL! At least mine wouldn't give a tinkers tu-tu! Hope this helps you! Good luck and congratulations on your soon to be new bundle of joy!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Baby Shower Invitation Wording: Rude?

My mother is throwing me a baby shower in about two months. Would it be rude to include on the invitation "No clothes, please"? We have already bought her so many clothes, and she won't get to wear half of them as it is. I'm worried that everyone would give me clothes, instead of...

Source(s): baby shower invitation wording rude: https://shortly.im/VnFwj

Make a word document on the computer, with a list of items you already have....to let people know what is not needed. Just put something like, Baby X has plenty of clothes, socks, onesies, etc....but really needs.... hygiene kit, wash cloths, etc. Most people aren't offended by lists in baby showers, especially when they don't want to waste money on something you already have 10 of, or don't really need.

The baby shower is not about gifts, no matter how much people may think it is. It is about celebrating the baby. Gifts are something given freely from the heart because your friends and family care about you. If they choose to give you gifts, you should be grateful for anything you get. If you get all clothes, oh well. You can always take a pile of clothes back to babies'r'us and exchange them.

Its not rude at all. The point of a baby shower is to help the family with things they need. If you really don't need clothes, than say so. As a guest, I would feel bad if I bought you something you didn't need.

I would not put it on the invitation, but maybe put a separate little note in the envelope stating that since you have been blessed with an over abundance of clothing you ask that if any clothes are bought that they are of larger sizes to be worn later. Most people if they want to get clothes and see this will buy something the child can wear later. Others who want something you can use now will buy something else.