Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

I need to setup up Direct Deposit for the US Air Force, but should I go with USAA or Bank of America? And why?

I am leaving to Air Force BMT very soon and I need to setup my direct deposit and banking before I leave but I am undecided between USAA and Bank of America. I really need help deciding and need to get a better overview of which would more benefit me. So if anyone could please advise me, which bank would be better and why?

Favorite Answer

USAA

Bank of America has treated me and my family like something you wipe off the bottom of your shoe. They are horrible, horrible, horrible to deal with. Their customer service people make your Drill Instructor look like a cuddly open minded softie, and they are about as incompetent as it is possible to be and still walk upright. I'd rather bank with Satan himself than B of A.

USAA on the other hand A) is military and deals only with military, so you don't have to explain to some moronic 19 year old in customer service why you CAN'T call back "during normal buisness hours" because you are in IRAQ.

B)USAA has many services you will want...like the best insurance rates this side of the galactic center, and investment help

C) USAA lets you do banking 24/7 and over the web...and you can call and get a live person 24/7... B of A won't even pick up the phone for me most of the time I call.

This is a no brainer in my book.

Burning fat: http://bestinternetfind.solutionsarticles.com/Lose...

RE:

I need to setup up Direct Deposit for the US Air Force, but should I go with USAA or Bank of America? And why? -

Source(s): If you are in the Army go with USAA.

I'd say go with USAA first. You can ALWAYS change later if you choose. USAA doesn't charge for using ATMs, the only downfall is there is no physical place to go 99% of the time. My husband and I, both AD AF, have a Wells Fargo account(which we don't really like, but there are branches everywhere we've been) and USAA for everything else.

You'll have plenty of time dealing with Bank of America in the future. That's who the AF goes through for the government travel card you use on TDY's, etc.

Source(s): SrA, USAF

Definitely USAA.

USAA refunds or doesn't charge ATM fees.

I don't like Bank of America. The Government has a contract with BOA for and you're forced to get a Bank of American Government Travel Card for traveling. I was trying to pay my bill for a recent PCS move and BOA doesn't let you pay your bill with a Debit Card--it has to be cash or check. This is 2008 and I don't even have checks, so I had to go withdraw $2,500 from my bank to pay the bill.

check out this website before you decide to get BOA

http://bankofamericasucks.com/

Source(s): Active Duty Air Force

USAA. Bank of America has gotten a lot of bad customer service reviews the past few years. I have an saving account and my insurance through USAA. I love it. Great practically unbeatable rates for insurance and I don't think I've ever had a problem with them banking wise. If I did they handled it quick enough that I don't recall it.

bank of america sucks..had them for a while....they are the ones a few years ago that had the account for the military cards and all the social security numbers were not secure so now my husband has to do extra watching of his social and credit...usaa is a great insurance company and bank..you can get loans thru them alot easier than you can boa...for cars .....and you can also do scan check if you are not near a branch of usaa so you can deposit your money from your home computer if its in check form...also their fees are similiar to a credit union..which are not as much as normal banks

I'd say, despite the fact that USAA is very good to bank with because they're super supportive of the military, you'd be better off going with Bank of America.

The primary reason is that Bank of America is EVERYWHERE in the U.S. (thus their name =P) But USAA is more scarce and harder to find or further to travel to when you need an ATM, deposit, withdrawal, etc. Other than that, a good majority of the employees of Bank of America respect the hell out of military personnel and will deal with you in the same manner as USAA - with the exception that USAA specializes in helping ONLY (or mostly) military, their spouses and kids. =)

• iraq51

I have used USAA for over 35 years without a single problem. BofA.....I wouldn't trust them with one cent.

Source(s): former army officer

USAA they ahve been serving the military since they started and are eaisier to deal with.