kwithey72 asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

how do I help my feline leukemia postive cat?

Our 4yr old cat tested positive for feline leukemia on June 30,she also has some upper resperatory isssues..coughing,sneezing,watery eyes etc.She has gone through one bottle of the amoxil and we are getting her another on monday as the first one didn't really help enough.She did not eat on her own for 5 days or drink for about 3 (we feed/watered through a syringe) now she is eating/drinking but a VERY little bit.She has lost about 2 lbs (she started at 12)She sleeps ALOT and doesn't play at all.

We have a vet and are willing to do what we can for her but our vet pretty much said this is what she has and sent us home with no options no plan nothing.I know this is incurable and the vet said that some cats give in quickly but it has only been two weeks,I want to help her for as long as she will let us but I don't know how.We are going to get a different vet but I would like to hear any suggestions or stories,successful or otherwise.Any help is GREATLY appriciated,

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Feline leukemia is the cat equivalent of HIV/AIDS in humans. Some cats are carriers and will not show any signs but can still pass it to other cats through bodily fluids. Other cats react to it with an outbreak and their health steadily declines. The ammoxil will probably not work- my daughter's cat came down with it and had the respiratory issues. We gave him antibiotics, he cleared up but it kept coming back. The vet that diagnosed him said that the feline leukemia was why it wouldn't go away; his immune system couldn't fight it. Giving too much antibiotic can cause the cat to build resistance and it will not have as good of an effect on the cat. We had to put down 4 out of our 9 cats because the disease spread that quickly, and with them being outside cats we didn't want them spreading it any further. We lost some really good cats because of it. If you cannot get your cat to eat canned food, try baby food through a syringe but make sure that it does not contain onion powder. You can also try pedialite...it is better than water because of the electrolites. (vet recommended trying these methods). The first cat diagnosed with it (which prompted us to get the others tested) was really lethargic and not eating. I spent the money to try and get her well (before I understood how devastating the disease was) but she went downhill that night. The vet had told me that if she made it through it, she stood a chance of having maybe 2-5 years left. Hopefully you are able to get your cat better and have a few more good years with her. If you have any other cats, make sure they are tested and vaccinated right away. If your cat does not make it through and you decide to get another one later, getting it tested first is a pretty good idea before you get attached. Any cat we bring in now is tested before it is introduced to the bunch. I would definately recommend getting a second opinion though, because even though the first cat I took in was really sick, the vet was still encouraging. This website is pretty informative and easier to understand than the ones with all the formal jargon:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

I hope everything turns out okay, and if not, I am very sorry for your loss. It is a difficult disease to deal with.

Source(s): Spent over $1000 on FeLv this year.

While the disease is not curable. It is most certainly treatable and managable. Sadly alot of vets will advise you to simply let your pet come home and die, Or to have it euthanized.

http://www.felineleukemia.org/ - a forum of people with Felv

http://www.imulan.com/ - A USDA approved medication for this disease..

my sisters FIV Felv + cat lived 5 years post diagnosis, with good food, and symptom management. Good luck with your girl

• I just replied to another question and this might be helpful to you.

There is currently a new experimental treatment approved in the US for the treatment of FELV called Lymphocyte T-Cell Immunomodulator (LTCI) by IMULAN Therapuetics.

Check this site for more information:-

http://www.imulan.com/felv-fiv-treatment.html

And here's a youtube video made by the owner of two FELV positive cats undergoing this treatment:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBDDxOk3kZQ

Youtube thumbnail

Hope this help and so sorry to hear about your cat. You may want to ask your vet about this new approach.

• i am very sorry, your kitty is dieing, keep her as comfortable as possible, if it becomes obvious to you that she is suffering, having no quality of life already it sounds, you will need to be strong and say your goodbyes to kitty, it is kindest to have the vet put them down with this awful disease

the vets will usually let you be present if you want to to comfort your kitty and say goodbye, they give a small injection, and the cat slips away quickly

the vet understands when you cry, i have had to put down both cats and dogs in the past, and i know i cried, no shame in that

peace