leukemia questions?

if someone has leukemia in there spine what all can happen to them. Can they become paralyzed? Give me details.

Favorite Answer

Leukemia cells occasionally will circulate into the spinal column in the fluid called cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). For them to cause paralysis would be EXTREMELY RARE. See, leukemia cells are blood cells and don't form a 'lump' to compress the spinal column. Solid tumors such as breast, lung, or prostate cancer can spread to the spine and cause paralysis.

Typically, if the leukemia in the spinal column isn't treated the symptoms are usually visual (blurred vision, loss of vision,etc.) or nausea/vomiting.

Treatment of the spinal column usually involves having a special catheter put in place (Omaya reservoir) so chemotherapy (methotrexate or cytarbine) can be injected directly into the CSF.

This is usually done in addition to treating the leukemia throughout the body with systemic chemotherapy.

Source(s): I am a Board Certified Oncology Pharmacist practicing somewhere in the midwest

I have never heard of leukemia in the spine. Blood cells are formed in the bone marrow which is where leukemia starts out. I also have never heard of paralysis of the spine being caused by leukemia. I am now in remission from the apl form of aml leukemia. So I think I do know a little about this type of cancer. Talk to a cancer specialist or hematologist to really be sure. But I really don't think that this will or can happen.

Source(s): personal experience

What causes leukemia?

Experts don't know what causes leukemia. But some things are known to increase the risk of some kinds of leukemia. These things are called risk factors. You are more likely to get leukemia if you:

Were exposed to large amounts of radiation.

Were exposed to certain chemicals at work, such as benzene.

Had some types of chemotherapy to treat another cancer.

Have Down syndrome or some other genetic problems.

Smoke.

But most people who have these risk factors don't get leukemia. And most people who get leukemia do not have any known risk factors.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms may depend on what type of leukemia you have, but common symptoms include:

Fever and night sweats.

Headaches.

Bruising or bleeding easily.

Bone or joint pain.

A swollen or painful belly from an enlarged spleen.

Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit, neck, or groin.

Getting a lot of infections.

Feeling very tired or weak.

Losing weight and not feeling hungry.

http://www.cigna.com/healthinfo/tv7433.html

Source(s): GOD BLESS
  • Leukemia is a cancer of the white blood cells and the bone marrow. Chiefly the bones of the lower spine, pelvis and thighs.

I have never heard of it causing a person to be paralyzed.

Symptoms for acute leukemia, include.

* Tiredness or no energy

* Shortness of breath during physical activity

* Pale skin

* Mild fever or night sweats

* Slow healing of cuts and excess bleeding

* Black-and-blue marks (bruises) for no clear reason

* Pinhead-size red spots under the skin

* Aches in bones or joints (for example, knees, hips or shoulders)

* Low white cell counts, especially monocytes or neutrophils.

Yes. The spine is the center of your nervous system. The eyes will go, no center of balance, all kinds of horrible things will happen. Sorry