Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 1 decade ago

Is it o.k. if I relay to you my latest experience in the hospital?

I went in for a Baclofen Trial (insert some drug into my spinal cord and see the reaction). The Neurosurgeon did not perform the procedure (his medical assistant did). He did not tell me she would be performing the procedure, nor did he ask my permission (my back was turned). She caused me a lot of pain until he took over and finished. He gave me 100 mcg. where the protocol from the drug manufacturer recommends 50 mcg. (The sales rep even told me some doctors use 25 mcg. to start) I couldn't move my legs for 13 hours. My doctor would not authorize an overnight stay even though after 12 hours, I still couldn't move my legs. He didn't even call me in the afternoon to see how I was doing. I am very hurt and dissappointed in the whole process and I didn't even get into how the nurses treated me. Was I treated like this because I only have Medicare and no supplemental insurance?

Favorite Answer

I don't think it's an insurance issue. Most Hospitals are thrilled that they will see 80% of your bill paid.

I think your Doctor was just a Butthead.

Welcome to the US 'healthcare' system. This is a very common occurrence. Try seeing a naturopath or osteopath next time. Drugs are only a reasonable protocol in less than 3% of patients. Look at the mess that is made with prescription drugs. Also, you may want to ask your pharmacist about the NNT (number needed to treat) for the pharmaceuticals you take (I bet you're on some, right?). It's usually a number like 1. This means that for every one hundred people who take it, it will be beneficial for ONE person. A NNT of 1 or 2 is considered to be a GOOD drug. Not for my health. Don't let them make a guinea pig out of you while ruining your health. There is a lot of good info out there--I suggest you seek it out. Traditional doctors will kill/harm you (called iatrogenesis)--you could probably name a whole lot of people who went downhill after beginning 'treatment'. Good luck!