Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

is it a fluke that America has had such a great moral decline since prayer was removed from school?

let me first state this: separation of church and state is fine by me I don't want the government ruling over my Spiritual matters. what I can believe or not.

but I seen this on T.V. the other night and started looking it up and it's amazing. here's a link and a few excerpts:

Young People

1. For 15 years before 1963 pregnancies in girls ages 15 through 19 years had been no more than 15 per thousand After 1963 pregnancies increased 187% in the next 15 years.

2. For younger girls, ages 10 to 14 years, pregnancies since 1963 are up 553%.

3. Before 1963 sexually transmitted diseases among students were 400 per 100,000. Since 1963, they were up 226% in the next 12 years.

The Family

1. Before 1963 divorce rates had been declining for 15 years. After 1963 divorces increased 300% each year for the next 15 years.

2. Since 1963 unmarried people living together is up 353%

3. Since 1963 single parent families are up 140%.

4. Since 1963 single parent families with child

Education

1. The educational standard of measure has been the SAT scores. SAT scores had been steady for many years before 1963. From 1963 they rapidly declined for 18 consecutive years, even though the same test has been used since 1941.

2. In 1974-75 the rate of decline of the SAT scores decreased, even though they continued to decline. That was when there was an explosion of private religious schools. There were only 1000 Christian schools in 1965. Between 1974 to 1984 they increased to 32,000.

a. That could have an impact if the private schools had higher SAT scores. In checking with the SAT Board it was found that indeed the SAT scores for private schools were nearly 100 points higher than public schools.

b. In fact the scores were at the point where the public schools had been before their decline started in 1963 when prayer and Bible reading/ instruction was removed from the schools.

c. The scores in the public schools were still declining.

3. Of the nation's

3. Of the nation's top academic scholars, three times as many come from private religious schools, which operate on one-third the funds as do the public schools.

D. The Nation

1. Since 1963 violent crime has increased 544%.

3. Illegal drugs have become an enormous & uncontrollable problem.

2. The nation has been deprived of an estimated 30 million citizens through legal abortions just since 1973.

so what do you guys think...fluke ?

St. Lilith amongst the vines......the free love movement was rebellion against Parents God and Country..and the decrease has rapidly continued not just in that era.

AZ KNIGHT WOLF...it has been made very un P.C. to pray in school many children are scared to it is very oppressing for christians and some suffer from peer pressure, not all can afford private schools.

Deke........the same way you can from your heart...free will...next

Favorite Answer

Correlation does not mean causation, but you help explain it then. I agree totally that this nation moving from God is draining our morals and values. Try to deflect facts, but school shootings didn't exist in the past. The society in this country has moved far left to being liberal with everything. Gays are OK, say what you want cause its OK, defending our country makes us elitists, punishing terrorists and criminals is too mean, eating animals is way worse than harming humans. I could go on, but you get the point. This country is full of pansies that will not fight for what is right. Not offending somebody who is wrong is going to be the downfall of our great country one day.

Shaun B. try 1920 for women's right to vote. Do some research before spewing ignorance.

Evidently you weren't aware what happened in the 60's, the Baby Boom generation started HS. These were the kids whose parent's got busy F*'ing after they came home from WW II.

The pregnancy's went up mostly because they didn't have the Pill. And guys were to ashamed to ask the clerk at the pharmacy for rubbers, since they were behind the counters like Cigarettes.

3. Again Baby Boom Kids.

B1. People finally figured out they didn't have to stay in a marriage that neither of them wanted...for the sake of the child. Since they were both miserable.

B2. At least this way they can move out fast and not need to get a divorce.

Also please take a look at the Population of the USA and see how much it grew in this period. From what your stats show you'd expect that we stayed at 1963 levels....we haven't.

You can't show causation from that. What you need to do is look at other countries and see whether those without mandatory teacher-led prayer (which is the only kind of prayer removed from US public schools) are in a more severe state of 'moral decline' than others.

Unless teachers not forcing kids to pray in public schools is the only thing that has changed in the US in the last 45 years, you don't have anything even resembling a valid argument.

I think these issues are quite likely related. I was born in 1962

and I can tell you that the moral climate in this country has dramatically changed since then. Not to say that the world was a perfect place in those days; racial discrimination and denial of

equal rights for women were often condoned by predominately

right wing churches. However, these churches also implanted a solid core of moral ethics in the minds of church attendees. People cared more about neighbors and strangers who were in need of help. Distrust of people is much more common today- simply because of the decline of moral values in the common population. Does one cause the other? I would say absolutely YES.

It is a misconception that prayer has been removed from school. Students can still pray at school if they so desire. They can even have prayer clubs and such. What was banned, and rightfully so, was mandatory, school-sponsored, school-organized prayer. Rather than take the right to prayer away, the ruling guaranteed the rights of those who didn't feel the need to pray at school. So, you can't blame the slacking of morals in this country on the lack of school prayer. It was never banned.

Prayer is not allowed in many Asian countries but their do not experience these same issues.

Perhaps the issue is NOT that prayer was taken out of school. Perhaps it is that parents are not raising their children with discipline and manners.

I raised my children with both. We showered them with loving kindness. But we also told them that they will make choices in their lives. With each choice comes consequences and they must accept the consequences that come with the choices they make.

We have told them that if they make a choice to do something wrong and get caught, then they must face the consequences on their own since they made the choice on their own.

When one of their friends asked why the listen to us, that my wife and I would never know, my son replied, "Because I will know. I have my parents respect and trust. I do not want to lose that."

Since 1963 the number of Beatle records sold per year has declined.

Since 1963 the number of countries in the world has gone up.

Since 1963 the number of channels available on Cable TV has gone up.

Since 1963 the number of people using the word 'beatnik' has declined.

Since 1963 the number of people who have been on the moon has increased infinity percent.

I can play this game all day. Do you attribute these things to the removal of prayer in school?

Or are you sane?

You are obviously trying to pass on here a bunch of remarks not proven and prepared by religionists. I pay not attention to religionists because they have only one thing in mind; that is to help themselves to become more secure in their funny beliefs. Those number you placed here, did not take into considerations that many persons taking SAT test were not true English speakers, and some came from home where they are the first to ever take a SAT test. As for the young girls having babies, etc, that has been going on among the poorer classes for over a hundred years or more, and that has not changed. Religion has nothing to do with what people do. It is just another attempt to get prayer back into schools and it does not belong there at all. Schools are about education and not wishful thinking and also not about indoctrinating little kids to be afraid of that imaginary friend you might have who you think floats around in the clouds.

Is is a fluke that man walked on the moon after removing prayer from schools? See what I am getting at? After does not mean because.

God has not been removed from school. I have no problem with the separation of religion from state. I am Christian and putting "God back into schools" will insure more lawsuits.