sambucca asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Jimmy Carter?

When that man gave his moral malaise speech...he was looked DOWN upon, yet now when all the problems he addressed are actually happening... WE STILL CRITICIZE HIM!!! I think Jimmy Carter is a great man, and was a great president. that is without the OPEC/Iranian Hostage Crisis...

opinions???

Update:

personally i cant relate with some of you guys as i wasnt alive during that time period... But from what ive read, he was a good president with exception to the OPEC/Iranian crisis? yes/no???

Update 2:

The Shah was a crazy man!!!! i wouldnt have let him in...

Its that idiots fault that the hostage crisis started...

blame him!!! not Jimmy for being a humanitarian

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

President Carter was largely a victim of the political and economic repercussions of the Vietnam disaster.

Carter was the most honest president of my lifetime.

Until the Iran Hostage Crisis, Carter was substantially ahead in the polls. If not for the treasonous activities of HW Bush and the future CIA Director Casey, Carter would have been able to negotiate the release of the hostages prior to the election and he would have been reelected. America would have continued down the path of developing renewable resources and fossil fuel conservation. We would have weaned ourselves off of foreign oil. We would not be in the ridiculous economic and political circumstances we are today. We would not be ruled by a Unitary Executive Serial Dictatorship.

We would not be surrounded by the Hatchling Nation.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I think Jimmy Carter was a smart and ethical man. He did foresee many problems we would be facing but he was still the worst President of my lifetime..

I love when people say he inherited a bad economy so he was unlucky. Reagan, Clinton and W. Bush all came into office during economic down times and still manged to move the economy forward rather than backward like Carter..

You have clearly read biased material. Inflation, Interest rates and Unemployment. Check those stats out..

• ztim
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

To be an officer in the Navy on a nuclear sub proves he is no idiot. I didn't care for him because of what he did to the US military in keeping our pay way down. I had to get out because I felt like a fool working on multimillion dollar aircraft while being eligible for food stamps. I love my country but at the time I couldn't afford to defend it!

• 1 decade ago

He would have been a great president in an ideal world, he would have been a great addition to the founding fathers, but I believe his calling was not as president but as an ambassador. When he was elected, it was because we were tired of the crap from the Nixon years and the nation voted Democratic, and Carter got left with much of that mess to clean up. He wasn't a strong military leader as you mentioned, which was his downfall as a president but a great asset as a diplomat and I also think he's an understated hero of our nation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Carter came on T.V. and stated that the U.S. would never use more foreign then that day but did not get reelected, we may not have the problems we have to day if we used his plan, Carter even put solar panels on the white house that Reagan took down, they did not work very well but it was a good start, Carter was ahead of his time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Carter was more unlucky than bad. He inherited a bad economy and tried to do something about it. The results only came in after he left office. He ran the cleanest Administration in history. And the unfair abuse he took for accurately stating that there was a "malaise" ... Phil Gramm saying that we're a nation of whiners and that worries about the economy are all in our heads, now THAT is worthy of criticism!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Carter is a great human being and if we had kept up with his energy solutions, we would be independent today and would not be in Iraq, Afghanistan, and threatening Iran.

Source(s): and yes, I voted for him.
  • 1 decade ago

Apparently you care nothing about economics and the affect his policies had on this nation.

His feckless approach to the Shah is very well gave birth to the modern terrorism movements you see today.

"The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan seven Decembers ago did more than turn that nation into the globe's newest killing field. It also caused an embarrassed Jimmy Carter to adopt several desperate measures designed to demonstrate toughness in foreign policy. One of his responses--ordering the resumption of draft registration--has proved to be his most lasting legacy.

Doug Bandow is a senior fellow at the Cato Institute and a nationally syndicated columnist with Copley News Service. As a special assistant to President Reagan in 1981 and 1982, he worked with the Military Manpower Task Force.

Ironically, conservative Ronald Reagan was one of Carter's most articulate critics. Reagan argued that the draft sign-up not only would "do little to enhance our military preparedness" but could "actually decrease our military preparedness, by making people think we have solved our defense problems." An even more "fundamental objection," said Reagan, was moral: "draft registration destroys the very values that our society is committed to defending."[1]

"The last half of Carter’s tenure was marked by double digit inflation, record high interest rates, and a sputtering economy that fell into recession in the first half of 1980. That stagflationary mix caused the poverty numbers to soar. From 1978 to 1980, according to the Census Bureau, the number of Americans living below the poverty line rose by 4.8 million and the poverty rate jumped from 11.4 to 13.0 percent"

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=952

"When Jimmy Carter won the presidential election in 1976,

I thought he would translate his tough campaign talk on the

environment into tough action on lead. But President Carter

ordered the epa to relax the broader lead reduction schedule

adopted by his Republican predecessors. The administration’s justification for the change was to combat the energy shortageof the late 1970s. That made little sense; lead does not let refiners get more gasoline out of a barrel of crude oil." So Big Oil asked Ronald Reagan’s epa to ban almost alllead in gasoline on the grounds that it is dangerous to health,and the agency complied. The epafinally got tough on lead, butonly after powerhouse corporations, worried about competition,got involved.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/regv29n3/v29n3...

"This, in turn, has created a short supply, resulting in some compensatory behavior. Because prices are high, I now turn the heat way down at night. And the cats, once thrown out, are now invited in as bed-warmers, showing once again why throughout civilization, the number of Homo sapiens and Felis domesticus has been roughly equal.

But there's another way to manage energy shortages that I discovered by searching the newspapers for what happened in previous cold winters. The last ones that looked like this one occurred consecutively, in 1976-77 and 77-78. Rather than allow prices to rise, President Carter announced we were in an "energy crisis" that was "the moral equivalent of war." The headline in the Jan. 30, 1977 Washington Post, 10 days into his presidency, screamed "Carter Urges Four-Day Work Week."

He actually proposed legislation outlawing work. The Democratic Governor of New Jersey, Brendan Byrne, went one better. According to page A5 of the same Post, "Byrne told homeowners to lower thermostats to 65 degrees in the day and 60 at night or face stiff fines and even prison sentences."

So which do you prefer: markets or jail?

It's also worth noting that similarities abound whenever the weather is extreme. That same 1977 edition of the Post also carried this headline, "Changes in the Earth's Weather Are Expected to Bring Trouble," a story that blamed cold temperatures on global warming. Nevermind that this vetoes the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that heating causes warmth and vice-versa. And, just as the story played ad nauseam a quarter-century later, climate fluctuation was painted as an abject disaster. The Post cited a then-recent (1974) CIA report that said that "climate is now a critical factor. The politics of food will become the central issue of every government." But imagine, if you will, the state of the nation this chilly January if the U.S. Senate had ratified the Kyoto Protocol on global warming, which would have required us to reduce energy consumption by around one-third. Many calculations show that this would require a doubling in the price of fuel. In that case, only the rich could heat their old houses, cats wouldn't do enough to ward off the cold and, as with Jimmy Carter, we'd be inaugurating a new president in four years.

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=4406

• Jim
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Jimmy Carter is the Anti-Christ! The angel Gabriel told me in Aug. 1973 that Jimmy Carter was the Anti-Christ and that he was going to change his name and divorce his wife!

Obama is the 7th king in Rev. 17:10 and the Anti-Christ was one of the previous 7 and will become the 8th after Obama's death!

Revelation 17:10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, [and] the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

Revelation 17:11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

Those 7 kings were all alive in June 2004 when the 5 fallen kings came for a visit to the White House in June 2004 when George W. was in office!

These are those 5 fallen kings.

1. Gerald Ford

2. Jimmy Carter

3. Ronald Reagan

4. George H. W. Bush

5. Bill Clinton

6. George W. Bush (king #6) is referred to here in the present tense!

Obama is King #7 who has not yet come;and when he comth, he must continue a short space.

The Anti-Christ is one of these 7 kings and he will become the 8th king after the death of king #7 who it says in Daniel 11:20 will be a raiser of taxes .

Dan. 11:20 Then shall stand up in his estate a raiser of taxes [in] the glory of the kingdom: but within few days he shall be destroyed, neither in anger, nor in battle.

Dan. 11:21 And in his estate shall stand up a vile person, to whom they shall not give the honour of the kingdom: but he shall come in peaceably, and obtain the kingdom by flatteries.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I can't answer this question. I am in a general malaise right now.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.