Do you have any Fantasy/Fairytale/Science Fiction book recommendations?

I'm looking for some good books to read in one or all of those categories. Thanks for the suggestions!

Best Answer

Anything by Lois McMaster Bujold would be good. Try Cordelia's Honor, or maybe A Civil Campaign (both SF). Her fantasy is pretty good, too.

Jennifer Crusie and friends have written a paranormal romance called "The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes." As far as the paranormal part goes, it's pretty basic, but still good.

There's a Russian author called Sergei Lukyanenko who wrote a trilogy of magic-in-Russia books (starting with Night Watch) -- those are pretty good, and get pretty deep. The fact that it's based in Russia is pretty mind-blowing at times.

Ursula LeGuin is a master of fantasy, of course.

Tolkien is also a master, but to tell the truth, I kind of slogged through some of his books.

Terry Pratchett writes fantasies, but they are more social satires. I find them extremely funny, but people either love Pratchett, or hate him.

Shanna Swendson also writes about magic-in-New-York, with a very strong romance angle. They are pretty fun. (Start with Enchanted, Inc.) It's very much like a modern-day fairytale.

And that's about all the SF/fantasy I've read during the last couple of months. I hope you find something good!

I will recommend the best Fantasy series ever written: Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. But, before you start, there are some things you need to understand. In the beginning, Mr. Jordan thought he was going to write a trilogy. So, things go quickly in the first few books. I don't know the exact point, but around the fifth book (there are currently 11 total) he realized it was going to be a lengthy endeavor and decided to stop rushing things.

The fifth through tenth books are what a lot of people would call slow. If you are looking for instant gratification, you will go nuts. These books need to be slowly absorbed and enjoyed (imagine wine tasting for the mind). There are tons of minuscule details that come back two books later with life threatening urgency. The world is massively complex, and the interweaving story lines encourage readers to read and re-read the series to get it all. Don't let these "slow" parts discourage you, "Gold is rarely found in an open field": you need to dig a little.

Give it a shot, and prepare for the most epic fantasy adventure ever written.

I have answered this question so many times, I decided to dedicate a web site to answer this question. Here it is:

http://www.life-after-harry-potter.com

Included is a list of only the best sorcery fantasy books, grade reading level, a short review of each book along with a brief summary of adult content. There is also HP fan fiction, a "Readers' Choice" list of favorite books, and a list of heroine sorcery fantasy books.

All of the following are excellent scifi (author, followed by books).

Jules Verne - free online

Journey to the Center of the Earth (my favorite scifi)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Mysterious Island

H G Wells - free online, and roughly half-length novels

War of the Worlds

The Time Machine (downer ending)

The Invisible Man (unlike many IM stories, he's a villain. This is the original)

Isaac Asimov

I, Robot (you *must* read this - the only "must read" scifi)

Elijah Baley books - http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Elijah_Baley excellent both as scifi *and* as murder mysteries - the best of both worlds (warning: adult content in the 3rd book)

Foundation Series - *the* classic scifi trilogy

Andre Norton - *the* classic female scifi author, most of her books involve "coming of age" and pure scifi adventure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliography_of_Andre...

her best: Star Man's Son (also titled 2250 A.D.)

other excellent:

Judgment on Janus

Forerunner series

Central Control series

Solar Queen series

The Time Traders (Atlantis, magic - very cool!)

The Zero Stone

You may also like Andre Norton's "Moon Called", a woman with psychic and magical powers comes of age in a post-nuclear holocaust world with - well, wait until you meet the *real* villains!

Another excellent: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. Though written for younger readers, I read this recently and it is great! Better than the movie (which was also pretty good).

I hope this helps.

Ron

• ALEXIS

Try these:

Neil Gaiman is an amazing author! Any of his books are good. Try Neverwhere, Stardust or Coraline.

Any books by Scott Westernfeld or Neal Shusterman are really good too.

Any books by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes are amazing! There is In The Forest of The Night, Demon In My View, Shattered Mirror, Midnight Predator. And then there is the The Kiesha'ra series: Hawksong (the best in the series!), Snakecharm, Falcondance, Wolfcry and Wyverhail.

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Abarat by Clive Barker, Make sue you get the hardcover version though!!! If you liked the first one be sure to check out the next book in the series Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War.

Daughters of Destiny series: Keeper of the Winds by Jenna Solitaire, If you enjoyed the first one check out the next three books in the series. Keeper of the Waters, Keeper of the Flames and Keeper of the Earth.

The Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) by Garth Nix

The Maximum Ride series (The Angel Experiment, Schools Out Forever, Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports, The Final Warning) by James Patterson

His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman

A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels and The Far Sweet Thing by Libba Bray

The Riddles of Epsilon by Christine Morton-Shaw

The Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding

Inkheart and Inkspell and Inkdeath (coming soon!) by Cornelia Funke

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke

The Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini

The Chronicles of Narnia (7 books) by C.S. Lewis

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

Uglies series by Scott Westernfeld

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

The Sight and Fell by David Clement-Davies

The Prophecy of the Stones by Flavia Bujor

Old Magic by Marianne Curley

Source(s): Enjoy!

Hi, you might want to try my own recently published book, entitled "The Tales of Tanglewood: The Lon Dubh Whistle".

You can download the first three chapters for free, at http://www.talesoftanglewood.com

The first in a series, Tales of Tanglewood melds together influences of Celtic and Irish mythology with modern-day folklore, and is a fantasy novel to be enjoyed and cherished by all ages. Within the pages of this tome you will find the adventures of Colin, a child who is fully aware of the hidden world of myth and wonder hiding within the woods just beyond his home, long kept secret by old magic. Only the fey magic which runs through his veins has enabled him to find what others cannot; the Tanglewood, the wood within the woods. Full of odd characters and fey beings, the Tanglewood is a world of magnificent folklore come to life.

For more details and to download the first three chapters for free, go to http://www.talesoftanglewood.com

or you can check out the reviews at Amazon.com

Well, my favorites, which i'm sure everyone has heard of..

is the twilight saga, by stephenie meyer

also the host by stephenie meyer, which is kinda sci-fi-ish lol

it took a while for me to get into it, but it was a good book

you could give c.s.lewis a go, and defiently lord of the rings, or the hobbit, great books

and at the moment, im reading the maximum ride series, by james patterson, i love them and highly recomend them :)

hope i suggested something you like!

• pammy

The dark magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. The book of lost things by John Connolly. Septimus Heap books by Angie Sage. Sabriel Trilogy by Garth Nix. The night watch trilogy by Sergei Lukyanenko.

Yes, check out the newly released "Dred Prophecy, Book I in Ragnarok: The Saga of the Night Guard Legion."

Forget Xena and Red Sonja - these Valkyrie rock!

I've found it listed so far at Amazon and Barnes and Noble:

http://www.amazon.com/Dred-Prophecy-C-R-...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea...

Source(s): I have read the book. Also check out the Saga's web site: www.ragnarokva.com There's also a dedicated Yahoo Group listed on the site.
  • wihntr

Sword of Truth series By Terry Goodkind.

China Miéville and Jeff Vandermeer are good sci-fi/fantasy authors. I also enjoy Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker (fantasy).