Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

tattoo tipping?

What is the industry standard for tipping a tattoo artist?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There isn't one. Tipping everywhere else in the world but America is down to the discretion of the individual to reward poorly paid workers for a service particularly well carried out. In America, however, tipping isn't the choice of the individual as an expression of their gratitude it is expected as a right. I read an article yesterday about a woman in America who had a lip tattoo and wasn't pleased with the results but then went on to say that she paid $80 for it plus the tip! Why would you tip somebody for a job badly done??

A tattooist is not a low-paid person in the service industry. They get paid to do a good job.

In the UK tipping a tattooist isn't common practice and isn't expected. If you're in the States (you don't actually say where you are) pay whatever usual percentage you normally would on anything else.

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

I'm no longer pronouncing that what I did was once proper, however my first tattoo rate $50 and the moment rate $70, and I tipped $10 each occasions. I think like I will have to have tipped extra for the $70 even though.

• Shauni
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

A tip for a "job well done" would be 15-20% of the price of the tattoo. At least that's what I've heard people doing. I don't know if I'm gonna tip my artist that much, but maybe! I know he does a good job! :P

• 1 decade ago

There isn't one. Tip what you can. I usually tip $50-100.

Keep in mind that a large chunk of the money you pay for the tattoo goes to the shop to pay for supplies or cover rent for the artist's space, depending on the shop.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There's no standard. If he/she really impresses you with there work then be generous, next time you need a tattoo they'll remember you and work with you on another good experience. If they don't then pay, leave and don't go back. My last tattoo was $300 and i was impressed so i tipped him a hundred but thats just me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.