Baby's First Cold?

My daughter is 9 months old and I think she might have a tiny bit of a cold, as I was sick a couple of weeks ago. Just a bit of a runny nose and I heard her cough just once or twice tonight.

What did you do when your baby had his or her first cold? I'm concerned that the doctor would want to give her some kind of antibiotic, because that's all he ever does is prescribe antibiotics, and I just don't understand why so many doctors try using them to treat viral infections like colds. What did you give your babies when they had their first cold? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You're both so lucky that this is her first cold. My toddler had a bad cold when his baby brother was only 4 weeks old, and my health nurse said "don't worry - he won't get it because you're breastfeeding". So much for that - he's 5 mths old and has already had 3 colds! Myself, my toddler. my husband and just about everyone else I know has been getting these recurring colds so my poor baby has really been suffering.

She does not need antibiotics - unless it gets really bad and she gets a chest infection. Even then they probably won't do much - they only work on bacterial infections. It's not good for babies (or anyone) to be on antibiotics too often as you build up an immunity to them and get even nastier bugs.

What I found was good, if you're after medication, was infant Demazin (my friend swears by Dimetapp), or any other infant cold remedy recommended by your pharmacist - they don't cure it but help if it's really bad - sounds like you probably don't need it. Vicks Baby Balsam is really good - you can rub it on her chest and it will help clear her nose and sleep better - I believe it's all natural. Also, elevating the head of his cot made it a bit better. Some people like humidifiers but I've never used one - I think they're good for bad chesty coughs. Hope she feels better soon!

Tylenol has a cold medicine for her age that worked really well. It's the infant drop. According to her weight you might can use the children's tylonol, it won't hurt her as long as she has the right amount. My son is actually coming down with a cold now, me and my husband both have had one this week. I had some meds the doc. gave me that is for cold symptoms I have been giving him and before bed I gave him a small dose of benadryl. But tylenol will do good and a vaporizer always helps.

• yaple

maximum hospitals oftentimes provide room temp. bottles on a similar time as there in the wellbeing facility after start. they won't take a chilly bottle...particularly no rely if that's chilly as in in basic terms got here out of the refrigerator chilly. i does not provide a new child something chilly by fact of physique temp. themes, yet a 7 week previous would desire to be fantastic.

myself I prefer,natural things and any doctor that gives you meds for a baby is just comforting you ,truely , my babies all even as their older I get a humidifier and some vicks vapor rub (if u use the adult one may it weaker by mixing with vaseline) and put a (big) pot of water on the stove on low,(humidity)when my kids have coughs and runny noses I rub vicks on their backs,chest and the bottom of their feet and put socks and T-shirt on them.open the windows and get some fresh air in the house, keep socks and shirts on your babies it get cold at night REGARDLESS! recycled sick air is not good air

Source(s): Always worked for my family,cheap and worth a try,If it doesn't work the Docts. always there to provide a bill ,If she's uncomfortable(fussy) then you go to other measures medicine,At least my way they wont have side affects 2-3mos down the road

hi there!congratulations on being a mother. baies are very sensitive to dust and other allergies.dont worry .just give her a drop of KALI SULPH30M(power)liquid or through sweet pills.you will get this medicine in any homeopathic clinic and also directions to use it. these are the homeopathic medicines witout any side effects,iand my daughter are using since years.so rush to u rchemist.in 3 days u r baby will b fine.please write back to me if still any dought.byi !

Source(s): GAYATRI

Good Dr's won't give antibiotics for anything like a cold because they know they are useless.

• for a tickly throat give her a glycerol medicine. shud b available from all chemists. just sooths their throat. i have something that sucks the mucus from their nose, very handy especially just before feeding, in helping them breath properly.

huhrgfgf