Can you be saved without an informed belief?

Many denominations think that you have to understand the dogma. That is why you have religious instruction and Catholic Universities, Methodist Universities, Presbyterian Universities. These not only help to better the faithful by educating them for roles in society but also educate them on the intricacies of their respective faith. I have seen many people profess strong beliefs but didn't know the first thing about necessary points like the Trinity, the Divinity of Christ and things like that.

Update:

Re: Bothermenot

I agree with you completely, but that is not what I asked. I am asking about the function of Christianity, as an entity, not a global comparative study.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Salvation has come, and can only come, by the Word of God. Look at the Old Testament and New Testament - no one ever became righteous (saved) apart from the Word of the Lord (often came as an entity by the Angel of the LORD, by men, or by created angels) and the Spirit of God working. THat is why Jesus said to Nicodemus, you can only be born again by the water (symbolic of the washing of the word of God - se imagery throughout the OT) and the spirit of God. Both play a role in salvation. Understanding and accepting the word of God (informed belief) is always key. Some hear the word, but don't understand it, only having superficial knowledge, and some just blatantly reject it. Read the parable of the soils.

You can be saved with only the knowledge of your own sinfulness, an acknowledging of the existence of God and His absolute authority over you, humbling yourself and repenting, putting your faith in God by following Christ and testifying to others. Do you need to have an understanding of every single doctrine? No, but you do need the heart of the gospel to be saved.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You don't need to know points like the Trinity and Divinity. All you need is to believe Jesus Christ died for your sins and rose on the third day. Then you will be saved at once.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Saved from what. You can be saved from ignorance by reading and understanding as many religious/philosophical texts as possible. If you adhere to one belief system and never look beyond it, you are doomed to narrow-mindedness and delusion.

• 1 decade ago

No, Jesus actually gives a couple examples of non-believers (or those without knowledge) being saved. And examples of believers not being saved.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I would like to think that those who understand their faith are saved, but that is not always the case...

• 1 decade ago

Although we are all judged by a sincere conscience, we are still required to educate it in order to form a correct conscience.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The above poster, is wrong.

If you WILLINGLY reject Jesus and lord and savior, you go too hell.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no, if you don't know Jesus before you died, and if you don't worship him, you go straight to hell

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.