soldierwithu asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Why does baseball have a labor agreement that is not on par with the NFL?

Richie Sexson got cut today and the Mariners owe him approx 6 million in salary for the remainder of the year. Shaun Alexander signed a huge contract a couple of years ago and Seattle cut him and didn't even owe him a plane ticket out of town. Seems backwards to me. Baseball players get other ridiculous incentives, ala----can only be traded to teams they want to go to if they've spent a certain amount of time with their current team. Why does MLB allow this? Their collective bargaining agreement is stronger than any union in the world, even teamsters during the prime. It seems that once a MLB player signs a huge contract he can just relax and underperform while NFL players still have that pressure to perform, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I don't know much about the NBA's agreement but I know it's pretty liberal too.

Understood---NFL picks get huge bonuses, but that's just only the top picks foolio. It's still BS that baseball players get a free ride after they sign their big contract.

Favorite Answer

Baseball players don't get $10 million signing bonuses when they're drafted, either. It's a different world. Ryan Leaf was a millionaire before he played a single game in the NFL, and how did that work out? You've got to play baseball for a long time before you get a big payday.

• Frankly it's NFL that's messed up. That's one sport where I don't mind players holding out. Because they get screwed. Just look at Shaun Alexander.

Because the MLBPA, which represents uniquely talented individuals, is the strongest labor union on the planet, whereas the NFLPA is a joke.