promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

how can i keep my dog from eating trash?

my dog is always eating wrappers and plastic and she usually gets them before i notice, and then runs. im really afraid shes gonna poison herself. how can i get her to give up that stuff?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You may have to keep the can where she can't get it. One of my pugs, of all things, is a dumpster diver. It isn't all that attractive, but I put the can on top of the malamute's crate in the kitchen and the problem is solved. If she only does it when you leave, put the can in the bathroom and close the door when you leave.

Good luck!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

My dog used to do this, too. If it's a small dog you can get a taller trash can that it won't be able to get into, but if it's a bigger dog he'll just tip it over, so you'll need a lid. We keep our kitchen trash in the cabinet under the sink so he doesn't get into it, and never throw food wrappers in any other garbage. My dog wasn't interested in toilet paper so that worked for us, but you may need lids on all of yours.

• Liz H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

A dog trainer suggested that a dog gets bored of eating the same food all the time, but dumpster diving is dangerous. She suggested adding a small amount of dog safe food to the dry food to keep it interesting. Green beans, carrots, peas.

And get a covered trash can.

• 4 years ago

we don't desire a lid for our trash. i'm going to lay a uncooked steak on the suitable of my rubbish and bypass to mattress; the steak will besides the reality that be there indoors the morning even even nonetheless the canines & 2 cats have loose get top of get entry to to to it. at an same time as dogs have been eating our rubbish for over 20,000 years it rather is quite basic to tutor them to maintain out of it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Keep a lid on the garbage can or keep the garbage can in a garage or outside where she can't get to it.

• 1 decade ago

Keep a lid on the garbage can or keep the garbage can in a garage

• 1 decade ago

Put the trash where the dog can't get it. - in a cupbord or something.

• Katie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Keep the garbage where she can't reach it.

• 1 decade ago

my dog used to eat chickens, so after he killed one i tied it around his neck for a couple of days. try that.

• 1 decade ago

put the garbage can on the counter

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.