Chatever asked in SportsOther - Sports · 1 decade ago

Manny's Baseball Land the sports memorabilia place are they still in business? Do they have a website?

I got a few items from them from their catalog. But I live abroad now and can't seem to locate them via the web.

• wdx2bb
    Favorite Answer

FROM THE NEW YORK TIMES:

From the 1940's through the 1970's, two generations of Yankee fans said, "Meet me at Manny's." That would be Manny's Baseball Land, across the street from the Yankee Stadium bleachers on River Avenue in the Bronx.

Manny's was the place you bought your pennants and programs ("I used to hawk them on the corner," says Manny's daughter, LISA ). But in 1978, MANNY KOENIGSBERG retired to Las Vegas, Nev., and the business moved to New Jersey, first to Cliffside Park, then to Hackensack.

Next Saturday, they'll close the doors. The mail-order part of the business is so big, they don't need a store anymore. So Lisa ("You don't need my second name, 'Manny's daughter' will do"), now the president, will move the operation to Hobe Sound, Fla., with her 800 phone number: PRO-TEAM.

"The whole licensing industry has gotten so big; that's what people want," she said. "The business has changed."

But dialing an 800 telephone number will never substitute for leafing through black-and-white MANTLE photos, or trying on a cap with the overlapping N and Y.

Manny s Baseball Land started across Yankee Stadium (1950 s) in the Bronx. Manny retired and his daughter Lisa Koenigsberg opened Manny s Baseball Land in Cliffside Park NJ (1978) expanding operations to Hackensack NJ as the leagues started licensing sports products. With the advent of the baseball strike in 1981 Manny s began DBA as 1-800-Pro-Team and went from the famed black & white to full color catalogs better reflecting all leagues souvenirs (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL). Manny s moved to Hobe Sound Florida in 1990 prior to their final location in Palm City, Florida when it was sold in 1996. With regrets, it is no longer in business. Manny currently lives in Las Vegas where he retired in the 1980 s. The family fondly remembers serving the world s best fans and all the crazy times across from the bleachers at the old Yankee Stadium.

I bought my first baseball jersey through a Manny's mail-order catalog close to 20 years ago...it's gone now, too, along with many other brick-and-mortar stores...no parity anymore...the almighty $$$ has constricted choices in sports merchandise...all the online stores like mlb.com, Modells.com, etc-- all ship from the same warehouse, sell only sanctioned merch from the companies who pay the leagues the most money....while mom and pop stores like Manny's become memories....sad.

no..they are history