hawaii neighborhoods?

i dont know if you have ever been to the mainland, but the neighbor hoods here can be pretty crazy. whar are the neighborhoods like in hawaii?

Update:

it finally cooled down here in kansas. it feels so much better outside. now its only 90 degrees. thank god

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Different neighborhoods here have vey different characteristics. Most areas here in Oahu are ethnically mixed, but there are a few neighborhoods that are predominantly one ethnic group. Some areas are mostly high rise, some are mixed with townhouses & single family residences & some are all single family.

Yards here are significantly smaller than most mainland area, even in the more expensive neighborhoods, because land is so expensive. Because the yards are so small, folks are more likely to build walls around their boundaries. Many of the older homes are made with single wall construction. Since we have good trade winds, most people keep thier windows open & don't use AC. Couple that with the small yards, & you have a situation where neighbors often hear a lot of what goes on next door.

Because our homes are small, it is a common practice to entertain in your carport. People put up some tables & have the party mostly outdoors.

• Beckee
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

As a general rule, working class people in North America find their communities in their own neighborhoods, while professional people find their communities at work. Hawaii is dominated by working class people, so even the professionals may get sucked into socializing in their own neighborhoods, often on the carports, as somebody mentioned.

At a Thanksgiving Dinner I attended once, half the table was inside the garage and half was sticking out on the driveway. Somebody said, "You know, dose folks on da mainland, get big garages! Dey nevah have parties in em! Full of junk, 'at's why."

More than most places in North America, social lives in Hawaii are family-based and multi-generational. I've been to tailgate parties at Aloha Stadium with the grown children and grandchildren of a handful of folks that went to UH together. They've been meeting before the football games for decades, and they work together with almost no speaking to put up the tent, get the food on the tables, and start the kanikapila (playing of the stringed instruments) in a few minutes!

I remember seeing an elderly woman who couldn't dance standing up because of arthritis dancing a seated hula, and her face just lit up. When her family left right after her dance, a big, muscle-bound guy--we might call him a moke--went running out to the parking lot to hug her and give her a kiss on the cheek.

Are their rough neighborhoods, pockets of crime? Sure. But even kids from the best families get involved with meth, so crime may happen anywhere.

• 1 decade ago

Different areas of different islands have different neighborhood feelings. There are some areas where everyone knows everyone else and their business while other areas you barely know your neighbors.

With the exception of a few areas most neighborhoods are very safe for just about anyone. Unlike the mainland USA, we do not have areas where you could get seriously injured for wearing the wrong clothes or colors.

Hope that helps you......

Source(s): self - lifelong Hawaii resident
  • 1 decade ago

over here in hawaii is like calm.people talk in a hawaiian slang that mainland people will have a hard time understanding.most japanese and flipionos talk this slang wich is called pigeon. its s0mtimes annying cause its like they cant speak english.somtimes i wish i were a manilander..anyways if you come here somewhere you or someone you know will know another person you know.its so small almost evryone knows each other

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Try this link:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/se...

On the bottom left hand corner there are links to various areas around the island of Oahu.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/se...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.