Do children inherit their parents fears?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • nora
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, they can, If the parent speaks about there fears all of the time and the Child can see what this does to the parent, then yes. But you can also change that, with positive thinking. We become our thoughts. Seek the things that are higher..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is an easy question to answer. Lets put it this way, People inherit their parents looks so there is no reason why they wouldn't inherit there fears. The best inheritance is money. lol

Source(s): Personal experience
  • 1 decade ago

LOL...psychological question of nature vs. nurture.

Your environment(parents) can condition you in a way that yes...you can "inherit" their fears.

Your genetic makeup can also make you prone to certain mental disorders. i.e. depression, schizophrenia....It's also been shown that humans seem to have an inherent fear of snakes. Sound biblical? lol

So, to sum it up. You can "inherit" and inherit--genuinely-- a fear from your parents.

• Pasha
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Not really. What actually happens is the child sees or even senses the parent reacting in a certain way to something and they pick up on it.

Basically if Mum is afraid, then I should be afraid, shouldn't I???

I personally overcame my mothers fear of spiders. I was scared of them for years and years and then finally talked myself out of it by realizing it was her fear and not my own.

However, my brother is still terrified of them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Sometimes. I know that my older daughter reminds me of myself. She has many of the same fears that I did at the same age. My younger daughter is completely different. She doesn't seem to be afraid of anything.

• 1 decade ago

yes we do - remember we are 50-50 half mom-half-dad

we inherit fears, attitudes, not only physical resemblance

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you inheriet your own fears you might be scared as the same things as them but that is natural

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sometimes.

My mom is scared of heights, and so am i.

But she's not scared of bugs, i am.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.