Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

How to throw a change-up?

In baseball, how do you throw a change-up? Explainations and/or videos are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• NIPS®
    Favorite Answer

Usually its in the finger arrangement.... you want a change-up to look like a fastball, but be 10 to 20mph slower..... your arm movement is what counts, it needs to stay the same speed or its a dead give-away. SO, like I said, some throw a fork or splitter, slider as their Change-up (just different finger placements) so that it appears they are throwing a fastball! You really need to find someone around your town that can explain why different finger placements cause different movements and speed. It will help you to develop a rythym which to a batter looks the same every pitch, yet the speeds and movements on a ball are totally different. Achieving that will lead to much success!

Source(s): Former Lefty ... Junk ball thrower!

Choke the ball.

I'm guess due to your question placement and the fact that you are asking in the first place that you are fairly young. The easiest way to start throwing a change up is to move the ball back in your hand and "choke" it. Hold the ball like your fastball, move your ring finger on to the top of the ball, move your pinky finger to the side of the ball. Grip it slightly tighter than your fastball (holding it further back in your hand), and throw it like you throw your fastball. The increased time it is in your hand will take speed off the ball while still making it appear to be a fastball. You can learn variations as you improve, but this is the best place to start.

Baseball section would help there buddy...

But basically, you wrap your hand around it and set the ball in your palm, then go through a fastball motion. It only works if the motion looks jsut like a fastball.

http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_grips.h...

there are different types, you'll have to figure out which one will work best for you.

Asking a baseball question in the hockey section...perfectly executed. Now I'll do a change up...I'm gonna ask how you best prepare for your pre game skate in the baseball section. What a balloon knot!!

I can only assume you're Italian by the accent. I can a-teach-a you how to throw-a change-up in two simple steps.

First get some change. Since you're probably Italian this could be a problem seeing as you're in the mafia and all the money you have is cash 100 dolla bills, yes? Buy a pack of gum, you'll get-a some change-a back.

Next, hold it in your outstretched hand, palm up like you're waiting for one of your mafia victims to give you your "protection" money. Rapidly move your hand upwards, as though giving someone in the thick, New York City traffic the finger, but don't close your hand. The change will-a go up. Catching it is optional.

• Maybe doing a little research beforehand would help. A lot of times people hate it when the same question is asked about 100 times a month. Try this: http://answers.yahoo.com/search/search_result;_ylt...

• You should ask this question in the BASEBALL section next time. I know there is one person here that could possibly help you. But I don't think he will.

Someone call Steve-O from Jackass! I bet he has never thrown up pocket change before. How can you throw change up? Did you like stick some pennies up your @ss? Yikes, get a doctor, and throw that pocket change up, don't want to have coins in your system.

Source(s): Red Wings and Blue Jackets Fan. Fan of Jackass.

Puckbunny of the Month is a Harvard graduate compared to the intelligence displayed by asking a BB question in the Hockey section.

It's hard to throw a change-up in hockey.