Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Best shoes for tai chi?

Hi i've been doing tai chi for 3 years now and now i have to look for a pair of shoes. i used to do tai chi bare foot but, now i'm in a new dojo and to prevent injury due to unclean floor, i want a good pair of shoes for training. I know disciple shoes are great for kung fu ... and adidas make some good shoes too... are those 2 brand a good choice for tai chi shoes? i want a shoes i can wear all day, so the old traditional one isn't for me too much... i need a good shoes that last long... i do tai chi, and traditionnal yang style with martial aplication and some free fighting and the form bare hand and with weapon... what shoes would be best?

• Steel
    Best Answer

I've been doing martial arts (including Yang style T'ai Chi Ch'uan) for many years now and I still swear by my Chuck Taylor's...! I've had some of the other brands mentioned, and they are good, but Converse are just a nice, flat shoe with decent support.

Source(s): 18+ years training, teaching, and learning http://mountaininstituteofkungfu.50webs.com

Tai Chi Shoes

YES, you should wear socks with your Tai Chi shoes - I can assure you it will not effect the flow of your chi.

The best shoes in my experience are the adidas samba indoor soccer shoes. They're made of very durable leather and tend to last a long time. You can wear them all day and throughout your practice. They're great for almost all Chinese martial arts practice. Check them out. Good luck.

Source(s): 20th Generation Chen Style Taijiquan Successor www.chenstyletaijiquan.org

Nihauma !!

I teach all that you say. The best is to get rubber sole comfortable tennis shoes - solid black - about 1 size too big - to give better balance and allow for any swelling during training - these can be worn all day - make 'em "wide" - in other words, if you wear size 10, buy size 10 wide - duh.

I have been teaching for well over 30 years now - feel free to e-mail me for anything -

get shoes with some arch support. i learned the hard way and my feet were killing me afterwards. don't bother buying those expensive $60 shoes. their not worth it, been there done that and they lasted maybe 4 months at most.

tai chi barefoot?

• Komits

i got some adidas martial arts shoes i love them and i work them to work etc they are great i sugest going to a martial arts store and they will probs have some.

• 5 years agoReport

Bristol has a great martial arts shop, Enso Martial Arts www.ensomartialarts.com

hospital shoes (they are like socks with rubber soles)