Megan asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

clear retainers how should i clean them?

i got clear retainers yesterday after getting my braces off how should i clean them? and how often cause i cleaned them with stuff my ortho gave me but it still feel gross.

should i buy denture cleaner?

will brushing scratch them up?

Favorite Answer

k. i hav those rite now too. i also hav the hawly (which i like a lot better cuz its easier to clean and doesnt collect all the saliva the clear ones do but back to cleaning the clears) i just use a tooth brush and tooth paste. they say u shouldnt use a toothbrush or paste cuz u "might scratch the surface" but heres the thing. they may start to look cloudy when they're sitting in their case but once they get wet and get in ur mouth... they're clear! JUST LIKE MAGIC!!! so just use wat u use to clean ur teeth. and u no how tooth brushes come in soft medium and hard bristles... use either the soft or the medium... the hard ones mite scatch alot... plus they'll wear down ur enamal. i've heard about using dentur cleaner. im sure it works. but peroxide, alcohol, or mouthwash works just the same.

If you could clean them daily with denture cleaner, it would work great. Also, brushing them with a tooth brush helps get anything off of them that the denture cleaner doesn't.

• JAJ

My orthodontists told me to just brush the retainer daily with toothpaste and rinse it off with cool water. Hot water will damage the retainer.

yes brushing will scratch them. Please to soak them in white vinegar that you buy at the supermarket. This works better than any denture cleaner. was told this by my orthodontist when i got my retainers

I agree. RetainerBrite was given to me by my Orthodontist when I got my braces off with this vibrating tray but Efferdent works just the same and is less expensive.

Get the sonic cleaner

http://www.dentakit.com/cosocl.html

It works very good make sure you clean it good our it will turn yellow

good luck

i clean mine with another tooth brush i have........just brush them with toothpaste and rinse them off with COLD water not hot and dont use mouth wash on them or with them in your mouth it will destroy them :]