A L asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Would anybody recommend a BARF diet or a home-cooked diet for my dog?

I was considering putting my dog on a home-cooked diet, but after reading this article http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/...

I grew very frightened to give my dog anything but store bought dog food. What would you recommend? I want my dog to be healthy!

• Fetch!
    Best Answer

~ WOW, In my opinion that article is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever seen. The dog foods they stand behind are crap. Purina and Eukanuba, they are horrible dog foods!

A high quality kibble or raw diet is the best for all dogs!

No dog should eat any big box grocery store/pet food dog food.

Foods to avoid: Pedigree, Beneful, Purina, Iams, Nutro, Alpo, Ol Roy, Mighty Dog, Ceser, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Purina, Royal Canin, Kibbles N Bits, Bil-Jac, Eagle Pack (not to be confused with Eagle Pack Holistic) and of course all grocery store brands of dog food!

These foods have low quality ingredients that can cause allergies, diabetes, bloat, overweight, oily skin, excessive and or runny stool and a myriad of other problems. Most of these brands are owned by companies like Del Monte, Proctor and Gamble, Mars and Nestle. Do you really believe that a company like Proctor and Gamble who makes beauty products, household cleaning supplies, baby items, prescription drugs and many others is the best suited company to make quality products for dogs? 50% of Mars is pet food, 45% is unhealthy snacks like candy bars. Science Diet is promoted by vets who in return make a profit on every bag they sell. Hill's is the largest employer of veterinarians outside of academia. They sponsor many pet nutrition related veterinary school programs and hold seminars and training sessions on the subject of pet nutrition for practicing veterinarians. So of course Hill's is going to say they are the best, they are teaching the vets pet nutrition, they want to make a profit, not healthy cat and dog food. Does this sound like the best company to make dog food? All of these companies have one thing in common, they have the advertising to make you believe pictures of meat and veggies and healthy dogs running around on the commercials is what you will get. Knowing the truth about what is in these foods is devastating.

Quality dog foods: Innova, California Natural, EVO, Karma, Wellness, Orijen, Canidae, Merricks, Artemis, Taste of the Wild, Nature's Variety, Solid Gold-Barking at the Moon, Go!, Now!, Pinnacle, Blue Buffalo, and Timberwolf Organic.

Here are several websites to do your own research, which I highly suggest. A lot of questions here about dog’s health problems are a direct result of the food you are feeding. Read the ingredients label on the back, go to the website and see who owns the dog food, look up the ingredients and learn why it is used and what the pros and cons are. Changing to a healthy low grain, no grain dog food will relieve most of your dog aliments and give you a healthier and happier dog.

www.naturapet.com

www.dogfoodproject.com

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1

www.feedmypet.com/dog-food-comparison.html

www.canidae.com

Current pet food regulations allow manufacturers to use ingredients that you would never knowingly give to your pet. In fact, you may be shocked to learn what some brands of pet food really contain. For example: the use of by-products (feet, bones and intestines, etc.), the 5 Ds, (dead, dying, diseased, decayed, drugged), chemical preservatives (BHA and BHT) and grains that are often difficult to digest (corn, wheat, gluten and soy), which are often used as a protein source instead of meat.

I was shocked and disgusted when I first learned about how most all commercially processed dog foods are made and their ingredients. I became an educated consumer wanting the best for my dogs. They say the most dangerous woman in the world is an educated dog mother. How true!

That is why I will never feed any brand name dog food from Pedigree, Purina, Eukanuba, Iams, Ol'Roy, Beneful, Diamond, Nutro etc. ever again.

They are made with dangerous ingredients and deadly additives that are literally bringing our dogs to an early and painful death.

Food is the fuel of all life. The quality of the fuel directly relates to how well the body can operate. Low quality dog food, such as Beneful, Pedigree, Ol’ Roy, Purina, Eukanuba, Iams, Science Diet, etc., are filled with *empty* calories. These foods are made with keeping costs down in mind, *not* in the best interest of nutrition. When you think of healthy food, do you think of Nestle or Mars (both heavily invested in producing candy)? What about Del Monte (heavily invested in produce, especially corn…)?

Heck, just go to Beneful’s or Pedigree’s websites, they’re full of promotions, coupons, streaming audio and video, and heart-warming catchy slogans; they know that as long as they paint a pretty picture, the “sheeple” of the world will think it must be good because they got a warm and fuzzy feeling by the advertising.

Let’s take Pup-peroni (by Del Monte), for example, a quick scan of the ingredients raises eyebrows:

- Meat By-products – Definition: The non-rendered, clean parts, other

than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not

limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone,

partially defatted low temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and

intestines freed of their contents

- Sugar – Because all dogs need sugar, right?

- Propylene Glycol – Here’s a few uses of this chemical (from Wikipedia):

+ As the main ingredient in deodorant sticks

+ As a medical and sexual lubricant

+ As the killing and preserving agent in pitfall traps, usually used

to capture ground beetles

+ As a solvent used in mixing photographic chemicals, such as film

developers

+ In hand sanitizers, antibacterial lotions, and saline solutions

How about Pedigree (made by M&M’s company Mars), you know ‘Really good food for dogs’:

- First ingredient – GROUND WHOLE CORN (read, nutritionally void filler)

- Corn Gluten Meal – This is a well-known (even patented) herbicidal agent

used for weed control in lawns and gardens!

- Wheat Mill Run – Definition: Commonly referred to as "floor sweepings",

this ingredient is nothing more than inexpensive filler with little or

no nutritional value.

- Chicken by-product meal: Consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts

of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped

eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as

might occur unavoidable in good processing practice. Chicken by-product

costs less than chicken muscle meat and lacks the digestibility of

chicken muscle meat.

Chemical additives aside, let’s analyze the recommended serving size between Pedigree and a quality food like Orijen. Being that Pedigree is mostly fillers, your poor dog has to eat so much more just to get the calories to survive when compared to a quality food that actually contains real meat. You ready?

Pedigree (50-75lb. dog): 4 to 5-1/3 cups a day

Orijen (45-75lb. dog): 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 cups a day!

Orijen costs more, but you feed less, AND the quality is superb. Just look at the difference in the ingredients and it’s painfully obvious which is a quality food.

Pedigree: GROUND WHOLE CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, GROUND WHEAT, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), WHEAT MILL RUN, WHEAT FLOUR, NATURAL FLAVOR, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, RICE, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, ZINC PROTEINATE, COPPER SULFATE, COPPER PROTEINATE, MANGANESE PROTEINATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), ADDED FD&C AND LAKE COLORS (YELLOW 6, YELLOW 5, BLUE 2, RED 40)

Orijen: Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs, turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

You can apply this same analogy TO EVERY SINGLE PET FOOD IN THE GROCERY / CHAIN PET STORES!

NEWS FLASH: Science Diet is crap food too! Yes, your vet makes *MONEY* by selling it, not to mention a SIGNIFICANT number of veterinary school programs ARE FUNDED by Hill’s!

There is nothing scientific about their “diet”. The science they use is how to make a profit.

The use of corn, wheat, or soy in dog food can cause skin irritation, hair loss, fever, ear infections, kidney failure, liver failure, dental disease, obesity, chronic digestive problems, bloat, heart disease, and hyperthyroidism.

Dont buy it. They are endorsing crap, from what I can tell.

A BARF diet is just FINE, as long as you do tons of research before hand and take the time to do it correctly. In fact, it's probably healthier than any store-bought foods if done properly.

Read up on websites and check out some books.

The recipe depends on the breed and you should consult your vet. For example, I have two Rotts. I purchased a Japanese Rice Cooker (LARGE) and make 28 cups of steamed rice. It makes 10 cups, so I do it 3x. I boil and debone 6 large whole chickens, actually butcher does the deboning, I just boil (with as much skin as possible). Then strain the water.

Once ready, I throw the rice, and chicken meat into a very large container and add four cups of chicken broth. I then add 4 cans of unsalted diced tomatoes. I mix it all together. I then put into containers into the freezer and frig. This lasts me 1 week for two very large Rotts - both are very healthy but I checked with my vet before I began it 5 years ago.

The problem with store bought food is it is made for any dog. Each dog is different, each breed is different. Talk to your vet, they might push you on a particular brand, or they may agree with the recipe you propose for your breed, or have their own suggestion.

I considered the BARF diet but opted for another raw dog food brand called K9 Healthy Performance. What caught my eye was the healthy ingredients in the food as well as the many vitamins.

Our vet is delighted that we cook for our dogs. If you don't want to buy expensive quality dog food or you're concerned about the by products, I'd suggest homecooking for them. We used to have them on the BARF diet, however, the vet said it could give them e coli or other problems about raw food.

Here's our vet approved recipe:

1/3 lean protein (chicken, or ground beef) boil in a pot about 1/2 full of water along with 1/3 veggies (we use carrots, beans, peas, zucchini, spinach, small amounts of cabbage, NO ONIONS as they are toxic to dogs) after the meat and veggies are cooked tender add 1/3 rice or oatmeal and steam until rice is done.

It sound be solid and look like something you'd eat yourself. As a matter of fact, my husband does on occasion, eat the dog food. He just adds salt.

Don't add salt or any seasonings.

You dog will love you for this!! My two rotties sit next to me as I'm cooking for them looking at the pot and drooling.

BTW, I supplement their diet with Vits B-Complex, C, E, and Fish Oil

Edited: To Rab down there: that's about how I do it. We have two Rotties also, and we go thru 2 large pots a week.

I don't feed barf but a model prey raw diet and the benefits over kibble have been proven to be amazing when fed properly.

Poop is smaller and stinks less

teeth are clean breath doesn't stink

shinier coat

etc.

I primarily raw feed using a prey model feeding plan.

I've been doing it about 15 years and my dogs are darned healthy.

I just started my dogs on sojourner farms. you mix the food preferably the day before, so the mixture can soak. and you can add raw or lightly cooked meat. Or what I do sometimes is I use Evangers 100% cooked chicken in a can.

Source(s): www.sojos.com

I feed home made raw (barf). best thing ever.

• I considered the BARF diet...but after asking my aunt about it...she changed my mind about it...sure, wolves eat raw food....but they generally live way shorter lives than domestic dogs who eat GOOD QUALITY dog food.

you wont be able to get good quality food @ your grocery store.

look for eagle pack holistic, canidae als, diamond/chicken soup for the dog lovers soul, and I would ask around on here about good quality dog food-a lot of people know what food is best..but stay away from answers that suggest purina, iams, and a lot of others

lol barf