Why do women choose pretty boys over real men?

For example, most girls in the US have a crush on pretty boy actors such as Leonardo DiCaprio (even though he became more of a man in The Departed) and Zac Efron, but even as they mature, they are still attracted to pretty boys. Pretty boys like Zac Efron won't protect their women from muggers or beat the... show more For example, most girls in the US have a crush on pretty boy actors such as Leonardo DiCaprio (even though he became more of a man in The Departed) and Zac Efron, but even as they mature, they are still attracted to pretty boys. Pretty boys like Zac Efron won't protect their women from muggers or beat the brains out of other guys who are hitting on their women, and I thought women were attracted to men who they thought could protect them. Men aren't supposed to look pretty- they are traditionally supposed to provide for their families and protect them.

I have women telling me that they don't like pretty boys, yet they want me to grow my hair out to look like a surfer hippie, when I like my hair short, since I am a man.

You don't see too many older women attracted to real, older men like Bruce Willis, Clint Eastwood, and Mel Gibson. Why is that?