Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 decade ago

Why do women choose pretty boys over real men?

For example, most girls in the US have a crush on pretty boy actors such as Leonardo DiCaprio (even though he became more of a man in The Departed) and Zac Efron, but even as they mature, they are still attracted to pretty boys. Pretty boys like Zac Efron won't protect their women from muggers or beat the brains out of other guys who are hitting on their women, and I thought women were attracted to men who they thought could protect them. Men aren't supposed to look pretty- they are traditionally supposed to provide for their families and protect them.

I have women telling me that they don't like pretty boys, yet they want me to grow my hair out to look like a surfer hippie, when I like my hair short, since I am a man.

You don't see too many older women attracted to real, older men like Bruce Willis, Clint Eastwood, and Mel Gibson. Why is that?

Favorite Answer

I dont know what girls you've been hanging around but I LOVE Clint Eastwood! Out of all those guys you've mentioned. I can't stand Zac Efron. Sorry but I just dont like guys that wear foundation, or make up period. Leonardo DiCaprio is okay, dont really have a problem with him but not crazy about him by all means. I think hes a good actor.

I am much more attracted to the "real" men than any "pretty boy". That will never change!

I'm 17, so age has nothing to do with it.

well, unlike the women in your example, i do not like "pretty boys." the reason other people do is because the are nice to look at. i mean the chances of them being able to be with an actor is very small, so they might as well find someone who they can just stare at and admire. Zac Efron has looks, but i would never want to date him even if we were the same age. as for the hair, long hair works if you have dark hair so you dont look like a surfer, but even with dark hair short hair works well too. if you have a different color hair, short hair can go good as long as it works for you. anything else is just based on opinion, just find females who want a real man. (although some will argue that zac and leonardo (when younger) are real men.) oh well, you cant win.

• .

Having short hair doesn't make you a man dear...people are attracted to what they are attracted to. I don't choose potential partners for the "protection" value, as I spend a lot of time single and know when it comes down to it I need to be able to handle myself.

We're not back in "caveman" days or the Wild West where women were helpless and needed men to watch over them all the time.

Besides, there is no reason what you consider a "pretty boy" cannot protect himself or others or provide for a partner/family just fine.

It's true the fashion look for males has turned to the less macho, testosterone filled look...some go for it, some don't. To each their own...some chicks are girlie, some aren't.

I don't.

I happen to 'crush' on Bruce Willis extremely more than I ever would for Zac Efron, who I can't actually stand.

It depends on the women (or man) themselves really, everyone has their own personal opinions on who they're more attracted to and who they're not.

I tend to go for more stronger guys, ones that i know will protect me and won't stand for anyone slagging me off and such.

But so they're still caring and loving, sensitive like all the 'pretty' boys.

Anyway, to hopefully answer your question...

This is just a wild guess.

But maybe if they chose the pretty boys over the tough guys, maybe they'd think they were at less risk of being beaten up themselves?

Maybe they see them as too possessive and such.

I wouldn't know.

Seeing as I don't go for them.

Not all women like pretty boys. And those three older men you asked about have their own very large following. If a woman doesn't like you the way you are find someone else to go out with. She won't ever be satisfied with you, if she is already trying to change you.

You must have a somewhat skewed sample since my experience is completely the opposite. I actually get surprised when I hear an attractive woman that likes pretty boys. This is true at least for all women over 25 that I know.

• Stacee

women choose pretty boys real men

well i love real men my bloke is my ideal man his big strong and has short hair and he always protects me even though i can stick up for myself. my sister goes for the pretty boy long haired type his a bit of a mummys boy lol

maybe women want to have more power over the man these days or think they will have more control. i like to be put in my place and have a man

i don't bother myself with what women want.They will consider you cocky without even talking to you or having a clue if your having a bad day or not. Most of them are clueless. Lets face the facts here. If women knew men as well as they claim to than why do they keep picking all the wrong ones? Not one of them was even right about Mark Zuckerberg before he made his fortune... See they don't know di<k about di<k. The best i can do is lift weights. take care of hygiene. Dress good. Eat good. Use a facial scrub and keep my looks tip top, i'm actually very handsome but i still need to wash my face. Don't ignore scrubs, like other guys do, healthy skin is a deal breaker. Don't worry yourself wit what you can't control. If a woman thinks she is goanna control you by saying what a "realman" should be. Try posing to her what a "Real woman or lady" should act like and if she doesn't like what you have to say than grab a quick piece and ditch her sorry @ss. EDIT Thanks Will.

I know plenty of people who prefer, as you say "real men". So don't fret too much!

You say that its traditional for men to provide etc, which it is, but, evolution can also explain why it could be that women go for pretty men because they want their children to also be attractive, and therefore to also be successful with finding a partner and reproducing etc..