Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

declawed cat??

if i have a declawed cat... can she go out side???

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No! She would be defenseless!

Declawing is basically an American trend, and is considered inhumane and is illegal in many countries (England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Slovenia, Portugal, Belgium, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Yugoslavia and Japan). If that doesn’t impact your opinion about declawing, maybe this website will help you decide: http://community-2.webtv.net/stopdeclaw/declawpics...

I believe that people who have their cats declawed are uneducated and lazy. It is not very difficult to train your cat to use a scratching post. The surgery is not simply a trimming of the claws, it’s an amputation of the distal phalanx, including bones, ligaments, and tendons! To remove the claw, the bone, nerve, joint capsule, collateral ligaments, and the extensor and flexor tendons must all be amputated. If you were to make a comparison, it would be like having the last joint of each of our fingers chopped off. So of course it is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery. There are often many complications in the healing process, including infection often from litter box use, resulting in a life-long aversion to the litter box. Other declawed cats that can no longer mark with their claws, will mark with urine instead, resulting in inappropriate elimination problems.

Many cats who have been declawed are traumatized and become withdrawn, nervous, fearful and/or aggressive. Cats who went through the painful surgery are more prone to resort to biting when they feel threatened. Since cats have emotional feelings (just like we do) they can resent you if you decided to get them declawed. All of these things can cause depression and ultimately lead to an overweight cat.

If a cat who has been declawed accidentally escapes, he/she would be in great danger. A cat needs it's claws to defend itself, as well as to escape by climbing. The constant state of stress, caused by a feeling of defenselessness may make some declawed cats more prone to disease. Also they cannot stretch their back and shoulder muscles like they do naturally when they dig their claws into a scratching post.

One popular alternative is Soft Paws. They are lightweight vinyl nail caps that you glue on the cat's front claws. They're great for households with small children and are extremely useful for people who are away from home all day and can't exercise the watchfulness necessary to train a cat to use a scratching post. Soft Paws are easy to apply and last about four to six weeks. They come in clear or colors--which are really fun.

Cats that live indoors live longer, healthier lives. Statistically, the life span of an indoor cat averages 12 to 14 years, whereas it is only about four years for the outdoor cat. More than 1 million outdoor cats are killed each year by dogs, traffic, and exposure to disease. In the long run, keeping your cat indoors will also save you money in vet bills.

There are many risks that come with letting your cats roam free outside:

- They have a much higher chance of catching diseases and other illnesses such as: Feline Leukemia (FeLV), Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP), Feline Herpes Virus (Rhinotracheitis), Feline Distemper, Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV), rabies, tapeworm, ringworm, heart worm, hypothermia and urinary tract infection

- Ingesting chemicals or poisons such as pesticides, home garden products and car/motor products

- Getting fleas or ticks

- Injury/death due to dangerous traffic

- Eating poisonous spiders, insects or plants

- Injury/death due to cruel humans, hunters or neighbors

- Attacks from dogs, other cats or wild animals

- Other accidental injuries

- Getting lost or stolen

• Jane
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Don't do it! I'm a vet tech and have assisted in so many declaws! It's so mean! A declaw is cutting the first bone of each finger. No matter how much pain meds they get they will still be in a great deal of pain and discomfort! It's also a tricky surgery. Cut down to far on the bone and the cat will prob never walk right again, don't cut down far enough and the nails will grow back. I have also seen many cats that started biting after because a declaw takes away it's first natural defense (the nails). I have also assisted in many declaws where the cat never regained full use of the paws (many after no longer wanted to put pressure on the paws). There are alternatives to declaws. Trimming the cats nails help. I cut my cats nails every 2-3 weeks and they stay real short. Start cutting a cats nails when they are young and do it frequently and it will become easy. Provide lots of scratchers out of different materials and sizes. Give them options but don't declaw

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Please no. SHe will not be able to defend herself against other cats if they engage in physical issues, meaning fights.

I am actually against ANY cat being allowed out due to when I was very ignorant about all the dangers to cats that are allowed outdoors. I had a cat who was indoor/outdoor pass away in 2001 because she got into some anti freeze and drank it (they find this sweet, and anywhere there are vehicles, there is a very high risk of this). She DID suffer, big time. It ate away at her organs, and there was nothing I could do. Never again. She paid the price of me not being knowledgeable, the only good that came out of this was, she saved my future cats lives that now live with me, indoor only and are very content.

• 1 decade ago

Not without being closely monitored. By declawing the cat you've left it defenseless against dogs or other cats. She's safest if left inside.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Luna
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

um no how on earth would she defend herself???? i hope you didn't declaw her and you adopted her that way and some other cruel person did it... because now, no she can definately not go outside. be very careful not to let her accidentally get loose!

• 1 decade ago

Well no... the cats fingers have been chopped up. She would have no way to escape a predator up a tree. Probably wouldn't last too long outside, dog or something would get her.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NO NO NO, if a dog chases her or any other animal, she has no way to defend herself,

• 1 decade ago

a thousand times NOOOO!! She will be killed!!

• 1 decade ago

Basically everyone else covered it. But just to make sure...............NO.

• 4 years ago

No

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.