Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Sports Psychologist?

Im going to be a freshman in college starting this fall. I am going in as undecided, but look up different majors in my spare. I came across the major of sports psychology. I have played sports my whole life, baseball, basketball, tennis, karate. I still do play for fun, not in leagues. I would like to help people out mentally in sports, and I also love sports in general. I had a couple of questions about this major though.

- How long does it take (years)

- What do I have to have a undergrad in

- How much is there salary

- What classes would I be facing in college

Basically whats the process of becoming a sports psychologist?

Favorite Answer

To be a psychologist, starting with undergrads, would take 10 years (4 years of college, 4 years of grad school, 1 year of internship, and 1-2 years of supervised postdoc work before you are licensed).

You would likely want to major in psychology. You'll be a psychologist first and consultant on sports issues second. It probably wouldn't hurt to minor in something sport, exercise, or even physiology related.

I have no idea what the salary is. If its like other psychologists, you can expect to make anywhere between $50,000 and $80,000. Though, if you consulted for a pro team, I'm sure you would make much more than that.

For more information on becoming a sports psychologist, please visit the American Psychological Associations Division of Sports Psychology:

http://www.apa.org/divisions/div47/APA%20Div%2047%...