Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Why do so many southerners still fly the confederate flag?

I mean, isn't it a symbol of racism and betrayal? Destroying America through secession?

I live in AZ and I've seen at least 10 different cars with a confederate flag bumper sticker.

Does flying that mean that you're racist and in favor of slavery and secession? I want to know what it's supposed to mean nowadays. I mean, Germans don't fly the swastika, regardless that it is a part of their heritage.

Favorite Answer

Seems maybe they're still fighting the civil war. They're wrapped up with the family, regional heritage. It makes them proud and honorable without thinking about the racism attached to it.

Southerners still fly the Confederate flag because it represents a time in our nation when the South succeded from the Union and during that time the civil war occured in which many of todays peoples' southern ancestors fought in and died in. Sometimes the flag is flown to honor Confederate soldiers who died for the south. I live in a rural area in GA where if you don't have a confederate flag you can consider yourself dead. No the Flag does not represent slavery nor racism. In addition the civil war was not fought over slavery it started the same reason the Revoloutionary war started "taxation without representation.

The germans dont fly a swastika because its different the Nazi party doesnt exsist any more and nobody in germany wants to be labeled as a nazi. The South Will Rise Again

• Tigger

No, it is not a symbol of Racism.

Many who live in the South fly the Stars and Bars along with the Stars and Strips as it is a part of their Heritage. The Stars and Bars was wrongly tagged as a Racist Symbol due to the KKK using it in their stupid Marches against folks different then them.

Flying the Stars and Bars does not mean you are Racist.

I would be willing to bet there are rural areas of Germany where the Swastika is still flown.

the Confederate Flag means different things to different people. I am a northerner but spent plenty of time in the south and I think many people identify with it because it is a symbol of a pride they have in being independent and strong people, this does not have to stand for a negative or racism, but as a symbol for the tough proud people that fought under that flag.

I live in Australia & the 'confederate' flag is flown here by a biker gang, known as Rebels Australia. Yes I think it is all those things you mentioned, but after speaking to an American tourist in a Sydney hotel last week, I believe he really thinks Barak Obama will be assisinated if or shortly after he becomes the Leader of the free world. Simply because of the racial divide, its so intrinsically ingrained in Southern culture.

In Australia we have the "Southern Cross" a flag of rebellion against the Brittish Empire and testamount to the Eureka Stockade a blood bath when Gold Miners shot it out with the Brittish troopers some 150 years ago.

I don';t think it's a sign of anything, all they want to do is represent their state, and why not? each state has their own flag and each resident has the right to fly what they want, it doesn't send a message other then they are proud of their state.

I think they fly it, so when go bad for the country, they can say, see if we would have won, things would have been different/better.

the "winners" always write history. It's flown w/ pride because THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN !!! It was the Northerners who profited most from slavery, one way or another.

we live in KY and its very popular here,, they only do it for their state.its nothing racist here that i ever heard,, they think its cool i guess and just to have some kind of symbol..they are alot of rednecks that do it,,

They shall return