How long is the hospital stay for a hip replacement and how long will the replacement last?

Can hip replacement be done on NHS? Is it successful? how long is the hospital stay? and how long will the replacement last?

Favorite Answer

I'm in the US and my hospital stays were 4 days each (I've had both hips replaced in separate surgeries). Yes, they are wonderfully successful. I couldn't walk before I had the surgeries. Now I can walk miles, need no pain meds, have no limp and use no walking aids. As for how long they last, this depends on several factors: younger people tend to be more active and may beat up their fake hips. The choice of bearing material may also affect longevity. Obviously, no one can predict with certainty how long a replacement will last but 10-25 yrs wouldn't be unusual.

I know nothing about NHS but assume that you can get on a waiting list for such a procedure, even though it is technically elective surgery.

Hi there, yes Hip Replacements can be done on the NHS. If you get to pick your hospital I would recommenf Stanmore Royal National Orthopeadic (however it's spelt) Hospital. You should only be in hospital a maximum of 6 - 7 days really as they get you up and about pretty quickly.

How long they last depends greatly on the type of implant they give you... metal on plastic, cemented etc. They say on average 15 - 20 years, however there have been reports of much longer than that with some German ones I beleive. It also depends ALOT on how you treat the replacement... the better you treat it the longer it will last! (Ask about ceramic on ceramic.. :-)

I'm 30 and I have had my for nearly 5 years, and it's the best thing that ever happened to me... BUT MAKE SURE you do EVERYTHING they tell you for the first 3 months, thats the big danger time when you can mess it up!

Best of luck!

Yes - a hip replacement can be done on the NHS if your specialist feels this is what is needed. Also - there are diff types of hip joint replacements.

One type is called Metal on Metal, not the full replacement procedure but used more on people in their 40's & 50's. Hospital stay will be around 5 nights.

How long it lasts - well the above is around 10 years but am not sure with other hip procedures.

Hi there.My husband had a hip replacement in 2005.He went into hospital on the wed his operation was Thur and he came home Monday.The operation usually last about 2and half to 3 hours depending on the waiting in the prep room.It can be done on the NHS as this is how my husband had his.He went to his GP and was referred to the hospital and then on to the waiting list for about 4 months.He has never felt better.The less weight you are carrying the longer the hip replacement.We did ask how long the hip would last but as my husband had a new type of hip due to his age (35)they could not give a definite answer,so best to ask surgeon when referred.They had him out of bad the day after his op and walking with a frame the next day.You will need alot of physio after but you find all this out when you get referred to the hospital.I hope this helps and anymore questions please ask as we know how frightening the prospect can be and the more you know the better you are prepared.

usually u can get a hip replacement on the nhs however it depends on wether u really need it or not. they are usually quite successful but every operation comes with it's own risks -all which should be outlined before the procedure. As for the stay it depends on your own health and how the operation went in general. They usually last a good while. If u are concerned or think tht u need one u should organise an appointment with ur doctor as they will be able to give u a clearer idea

• MaRi

your hospital stay will depend on you. if you dont have any complications you should be out quick. if something goes wrong then you will be there longer. its always hard to say.