citizenship?

i have a question abut dual citizenship. my mother was born in hong kong when it was under british rule. does that make her a british citizen, which also makes me a british citizen. or does it make her a chinese citizen, making me a chinese citizen... and if it does mean i am a british citizen, does that also allow me citizenship into canada?

unfortunately my mother has passed, so i cannot ask her this question.

Favorite Answer

I can't answer the questions about Hong Kong as related to British citizenship, but I can answer the question on Canadian citizenship based on British citizenship.

The answer is no.

Even though Canada's head of state is the Queen of England, Canada and the UK are two separate, sovereign nations, with separate laws, and if you have British citizenship, that gives you no claim whatsoever on Canadian citizenship.

Back to Hong Kong, your mother was likely a British subject, which is a different status from British citizen. I'm not sure what you are based on that, but I suggest you read the web site of the UK Home Office / Border Agency for details.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizensh...