How do I download pictures from my Canon digital camera to my computer?

I downloaded the softward, restarted the computer, and connected the USB from the computer to the camera. I opened the program and chose canon camera from the list of options but it only shows pictures already from my computer in the program and won't import anything. When I click to import from memory card, a... show more I downloaded the softward, restarted the computer, and connected the USB from the computer to the camera. I opened the program and chose canon camera from the list of options but it only shows pictures already from my computer in the program and won't import anything. When I click to import from memory card, a message pops up that I have no pics to EXORT TO the memroy card which is obviously not what I want. I am so friggin frustrated and hate canon at this point.
Update: I don't know what a card reader is, but which is the switch for making it view internal pics mode?? the stupid manual says to make sure it's switched to the correct mode but doesn't bother to say what it is and how to do it, just says to look for directions in the other manual which i can't find in.... show more I don't know what a card reader is, but which is the switch for making it view internal pics mode?? the stupid manual says to make sure it's switched to the correct mode but doesn't bother to say what it is and how to do it, just says to look for directions in the other manual which i can't find in. So fed up.