Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 decade ago

Is tile floor good for a bedroom?

My mom has allergies, so she wants to get tile in her room so she won't sneeze so much. Is that a good idea or not?

Favorite Answer

Yes, tile or hardwood. Either will help eliminate the dust problem if they're kept clean. I'd prefer wood personally.

She also should eliminate curtains in her bedroom, as well as plants and anything that is a dust catcher. Her room should be kept very clean and dust-free.

Unless VOC are a concern at all, I'd say either hardwood or tile are ok.

Tile (Pros):

-Can be comfortable and warm if used in conjunction with radiant floor heating

-Can be an extremely tough surface (ceramic tile has extremely good scratch resistance)

-Easy to clean

Tile(Cons):

-Can trap a miniscule amount of dust in the grout grooves

-If not used with some form of integrated heating it will buffer temperature changes. There certainly is the option of using a membrane underlayment (ie. Sculer-Ditra) but that will not change the fact that during the colder months the entire tile floor will likely be at a lower temperature than your feet will enjoy. This can be overlooked if the use of slippers during those cooler months is not an issue. It will feel nice in the summer months, assuming you don't live in a dessert (where it get's very cool at night).

-Additional weight: Compared to wood tile weighs a ton, you should have the structure holding up the bedroom assessed by an engineer(not the tile floor sales guy), its not unheard of for a floor to bow as a result of excessive static weight.

If VOC sensitivity is not an issue, I'd recommend a search of the VOC off-gassing difference between other wood flooring options (including laminates, engineered, and hardwood). Once a hardwood floor has been properly finished the only things that might be released are gaseous VOC.

Although its a bit of an assumption, I'd probably first point to all the fabrics found in bedrooms.

Bedroom Tile

Tile In Bedroom

tile is better for the bathroom. Tile is a little too cold for the bedroom.. Ask yourself this, when you wake up, do you want to step on cold tiles? its quite a shock... but if you really want tile in your room, just make sure its goes with the decor in your room. Why not go for hardwood floors? Hardwood floors give a polished and refined look to the room.

I have allergies and use to have carpet. But have since changed to hardwood floors and now I rarely sneeze

Source(s): I have allergies and use to have carpet. But have since changed to hardwood floors and now I rarely sneeze

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is tile floor good for a bedroom?

Source(s): tile floor good bedroom: https://biturl.im/UPL3C

The only time I have ever seen tile in a bedroom is in very large houses where they have a definite Spanish or Mediterranean style. And even in that case it is usually very decorative tile and very expensive.

The person who suggested cork tile...that would be a very good compromise as it isn't as cold and it gives off the same warmth in color as hardwood flooring (plus it is sustainable! bonus!) If I had to have tile, this is the choice I would go for.

But defiantly consider the resale of your house. If you don't plan on selling it, do whatever you wish. If you plan on selling soon, go with the hardwood.

Source(s): 4th year interior design student

If she suffers allergies then avoiding carpets sounds like a very good idea. The main problem is that tiles are so COLD when you get up in the night to go to the loo! A good compromise, I think, would be to go for cork tiles. I know it's not fashionable at the moment, but who gives a stuff about fashion when it concerns your own nest? (And I speak as someone currently re-designing a kitchen, to include removing the granite work surfaces and range cooker.) I think cork would look warm and cosy and yet be warm underfoot.

• 2D

There is nothing wrong with tile in your bedroom. There are so many different tiles to choose from to match your bedroom decor. I believe any hard surface is much better than carpeting. Absolutely, go for tile. Good luck. 2D

I had tile in my room for a long, long time. It got pretty annoying and my feet always hurt. And it scratched a lot but maybe thats just me. If her allergies are really really bad then maybe try wood floor instead. That would look a lot better and would be softer on your feet. And if she doesn't end up wanting wood or tile, she should get Singular. Its a allergie medicine that really works well. I hope i helped.

C: