Can you walk into an Apple store and buy an iPhone 3G w/o contract?

I've been getting different answers from different people(mainly online, not with an Apple guy). Some say, there is no way at this time (of the iphone launch) to walk out with an iphone at the $199/$299 price without a contract with AT&T, some say you can, but it can't be activated. So, naturally, I'm... show more I've been getting different answers from different people(mainly online, not with an Apple guy). Some say, there is no way at this time (of the iphone launch) to walk out with an iphone at the $199/$299 price without a contract with AT&T, some say you can, but it can't be activated. So, naturally, I'm really confused on WHAT exactly you can do.
and I live in west Los Angeles, it would be helpful to know about the apple stores' policies here.
also, i know of ziphone and its unlock software, does it do the same for the new 3G iphones as it does for the 1st gen. iphone?
THANKS A LOT!!!