Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 1 decade ago

Do I need TC-W3 engine oil?

For a two stroke outboard engine what oil do I need to mix with the petrol - I can get TC-W2 locally for lawnmowers, but read that I need TC-W3 - What is the difference between TC-W2 and TC-W3 engine oil?

Favorite Answer

Definitely use TWC-3 rated 2 cycle oil. Especially if you run anything newer than 1990 or more than 60 Horsepower.

If you use a late model outboard or PWC (1998 or newer), it is probably best to stick with the OEM 2 cycle oil recommended by the manufacturer. If you have a new outboard or PWC under warranty, NEVER run it with anything else than OEM oil recommended for it.

I recommend you avoid the cheap generic garbage sold by many convience stores and Wal-Mart. If you buy aftermarket TWC-3 oil, get Quicksilver Premium 2 cycle oil. I will never run an old outboard with anything else.

Source(s): 3rd Generation boater 15 years of experience 6 years of PWC experience.
  • joh

Tc-w3 Oil

I would say use the TC-W2 if it's all you can get. You said mix with the gas, so I'm supposing this is an older or smaller motor anyway. TC-W3 is a better oil, less ash content, but TC-W2 worked for years. I saw somewhere that TC-W2 is no longer recommended for motors over 85 hp or oil injection. When you say read, do you mean the owners manual, or just somewhere in general? As long as you are mixing the oil at the correct ratio, there should be no problem.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do I need TC-W3 engine oil?

Source(s): tc w3 engine oil: https://biturl.im/IvL12

You can of course use TC-W2 if you can't find TC-W3 The TC stands for two cycle. The W is water cooled, as almost all outboards are. The #3 is simply the third reformulation. Most engines run fine on the older formulation, but if you have on of the newer high tech. injected engines you might want to look for #3.

Richard c is absolutely right, with one exception. If you have a DFI motor, Mercury Optimax for example, use only the DFI oil recomended for your motor. I have a pile of Opti powerheads out behind the marina that used standard TC-W3 oil, and they are now worth about $1.25 a pound.

Source(s): Me. Mercury master technician

Tcw3 Oil

There is a formulation difference and I think the viscosity is different. Definitely use TC-W3.

Source(s): Lifetime outboard owner