Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

cyst - lymphoma?

My friend went to cyst removed, she was told she needed a satatious cyst removed. when she came round they told her it was a lyphoma and that they were sending it off be tested - what is this and should she be worried?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Lymphoma is cancer of the lymph nodes. It's considered a blood cancer; you can consider it sort of a cousin of leukemia and myeloma (which is cancer of the bone marrow). Lymphoma is usually treated with chemotherapy, sometimes with the addition of radiation.

There are two major types -- Hodgkin's Disease (about 8,000 cases) and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (about 50,000 cases). There are many different types of N-HL. The prognosis for lymphoma is generally good, but a lot depends on what type it turns out to be if it is N-HL. Stage also plays a big role. Cure rates with Hodgkin's Disease vary from 50% to 95% depending on stage; cure rates with N-HL vary much more widely and depend as I said on stage and type.

The biopsy will tell what kind of lymphoma it is. In my experience (my dad had a N-HL, I had Hodgkin's Disease), doctors CAN often tell whether the cells look very abnormal or not at biopsy and whether lymphoma is present. That said, there's still hope it turns out to be benign. Good luck to your friend.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

cyst - lymphoma?

My friend went to cyst removed, she was told she needed a satatious cyst removed. when she came round they told her it was a lyphoma and that they were sending it off be tested - what is this and should she be worried?

Source(s): cyst lymphoma: https://bitly.im/0H8cZ
  • Anne
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Lymphoma is cancer. I'd wait for the biopsy before worrying. I don't know how a doctor could tell it was lymphoma just by looking at it.

http://www.lymphoma.org/

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Please don't make multiple postings of the same question. My answer is still that you may have a widespread infection and to see your doctor. I also wrote not to pop anything because the doctor may need to collect a specimen for culture.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.