Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Why do vegans eat plants?

Plants also have feelings and are exploited. So why do vegans only consider animal feelings?

Trees are living creatures as well.

• Silver
    Favorite Answer

This has been brought up so many times.

How about the concept of "Most Good, Least Harm" to give you an idea.

For those who eat meat they are not only responsible for those lives of the animals but also for the much more substantial amounts of plants the animal has to eat to provide just one pound of meat.

And I'm betting that even by asking the question you are exposing yourself to hypocrisy since it's likely you eat at least some plants. Even bread started off as wheat.

However, plants produce their fruits and offer them up as a symbiotic relationship to get their seeds spread so we are actually doing them a favor. If they have feelings they are grateful.

Not to mention that if anyone is exploited it's us as we tend and are held hostage to huge crops such as the North American corn crops. We've been tamed by Zea Mays.

All these "plants don't suffer" comments are ridiculous. The point still remains, you're killing something to stay alive and also do not know whether you have its permission to eat it and who said plants don't feel pain? They communicate in their own way and therefore it's possible they feel pain in their own way too. This is why veganism is a total fallacy and hypocrisy. Meat-eaters don't bash on about killing things so if they want to eat plants it's not really a big deal.

• Because plants are actually good for us! Any plus plants aren't intellligent beings like humans and animals so if they experiece pain they probably don't even realize it.

Well, I personally don't eat trees but I can't speak for all vegans of course.

I eat plants because otherwise I would die. I will not die from not eating animals.

ok I will take this challange myself

What is Left to eat no fruits, no vegetables No meat.

Water! or does that have feelings to if so the earth does also and we need to get off this planet and walk on air or float on top of clouds made of water?

Eat or No Eat? how do I keep from getting hungary?

plants are good for you and contain nutrition. The plant is the only alternative to getting healthy. I guess if not let me know I like the idea of nutrition without calories.

Meat eaters eat plants too.

Besides, plants don't feel pain, they don't suffer. Animals may be sentient but plants are not.

• KitKat

Because if you didn't eat anything that once was living, you would die. Even processed foods contain products from living things.

Besides, since when do trees and plants have feelings? When was the last time you heard your lawn scream in pain when you mowed it?

Nice try. Do you think you're the first person to trot out the "plant are people, too" argument?

Plants don't have the neurological structures to sense pain, so they cannot suffer. Plus, they are the food nature provides for us. ALL humans, not just vegans, eat plants because they're an essential part of our diet (unlike meat, which is not necessary at all.)

Plants don't have feelings, have no brain and no nervous system. Someone needs to retake biology.

Do you honestly know anyone that eats trees??

Kindly cite the scientific study or journal that illustrates that "plants have feelings"

Thank you.