How do you insure that you are getting a High Definition signal?

I have a satilite dish but I do not pay for HD service. Do I need to? Is there a way to determine the resolution that I am getting with my current set up?

Favorite Answer

In order to receive HIgh definition service from your service provider, YOU MUST sign up for their high definition service. They will not broadcast anything to you in HD unless you signup. Usually this comes at a small fine with satellite ($10 for DirecTV and $20 for Dish, if you have another provider you will need to check with them) That being said, if you have an HD Tuner equipped HDTV, you can buy an antenna and receive your local channels OTA (over the air) for free if available in your area. But for everything else, you need to receive HD service from your provider. As far as checking the resolution, your tv remote should have some kind of info button that displays some information on the screen, time, channel and resolution. Hope this helps.

Source(s): Electronics Junkie

Digital tvs usually display the input resolution if you press info, you can tune to some local stations that are HD with an antenna to see the difference. Some satellite boxes have a light that shows the input resolution. You're only getting 480i if you're not on an HD package w/satellite or cable.

Yes every TV has a Info button. I tells you the resolution and frequency, and what input you're using.