Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

does eating late at night REALLY make you gain weight...?

like seriously...think about it....hmmm ur not eating for 8+ hours...your starving...and why would it make you gain weight if your body starves? wouldnt it be because your body needs something run off of and doesnt have anything to? so the metabolism slows down?it does have other things to do when your asleep like produce dreams and stuff...so it uses energy....or am i just incorrect...cuz it seems to make sense if you think about it...maybe not the way im saying it

24 Answers

Relevance
  • A T
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sorry people but this is complete and utter nonsense, why any one ever believed it is beyond me...recent research has confirmed it is nonsense, the time of day has nothing to do with weight gain...and your bodies metabolism is not at it's highest at night, but it's lowest, (known as basal metabolic, or

resting rate) and your brain, in use is the highest user of calories of any body organ except the skin, it uses 10% of all the calories a human consumes anyway !!!

If you think about it a bit more clearly, are you or any one else saying that the body has two different mechanisms for energy use, one for day, and one for night ? so what happens to night shift workers, ? their bodies suddenly change their chemistry because they do not sleep at night ? .

Be reasonable people, because your answers, at the moment ,are plainly misleading, and based on error and urban myths, the only thing that makes a person put on weight, is the excess consumption, of calories, full stop, this is simply a dietary myth, no more, no less... nothing to do with the time of day, or night......

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

does eating late at night REALLY make you gain weight...?

like seriously...think about it....hmmm ur not eating for 8+ hours...your starving...and why would it make you gain weight if your body starves? wouldnt it be because your body needs something run off of and doesnt have anything to? so the metabolism slows down?it does have other things to do when...

Source(s): eating late night gain weight: https://bitly.im/DfWxt
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good question. If you want to burn fat, its best to avoid eating carbohydrates (or anything else for that matter) late at night. Why? Because not eating a few hours before bedtime prolongs your nightly fast. When you sleep at night, you are going 8 hours without food. Let's say you cut out food 3-4 hours before you sleep. You just extended your fast to 12 hours!

Okay, so not eating before bedtime can help burn more body-fat. But will eating necessarily make one gain weight? It certainly is likely to. Why? Because physical activity is greatly reduced during sleep. Your body really isn't doing much and your metabolism slows way down. Now lets assume that you eat a big meal before you go to bed. Your body now has all these calories and no real way to burn them off. It will take what it needs, and the rest will likely get stored as fat.

It all boils down to calories consumed and calories burned in a 24 hour period. If you haven't eaten much that day and you eat before bedtime, the food will probably not be stored as fat. It all depends on what you've been eating and how much you've been eating.

It is a good question. Bottom-line -- try not to eat carbs before bedtime if you want to lose fat.

• 1 decade ago

As the poster above me stated. No it doesn't. I work nights and I routinely eat my biggest meal in the middle of the night. The weight gain has everything to do when you yourself goto sleep not the time of the day. Typically for most people that is at night sooo this is where the misconception may have been derived.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, it doesn't matter what time of day you eat. It's just that people who eat late usually don't take the time to prepare a home cooked, healthy meal, and they instead opt for junk food. Sometimes eating something light before bed may even help you sleep better.

• 1 decade ago

when your body is asleep your metabolism is at its highest, eating late and night while the body is starving make your body hold on to that fat and stuff , becasue if your starving your body needs energy so it will store anything you give it, thats why its good to eat 6 small meals through out the while day 1 meal every 3 or 2 hours

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You know what I am not sure but I am trying lose weight and I just ate some warm milk and 2 crackers @ 11PM and people told me it will all be stored as fat.

But WHO KNOWS!

One time I binged at 12PM and I kept eating & eating.

Haha.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

You might do safer to replace an occasional dinner using a nice roll in the hay. Healthy sex may help control the volume of food you eat and it can be great exercise.

• 4 years ago

Don't confuse being thirsty with hunger. Drink a glass of water once you feel hungry to see in the event that's what you're really craving.

• 3 years ago

Walk your lunch outside or to another location at the office instead of sitting and eating at the desk.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.