Questions about adopting a German Shepherd?

I am considering taking a German Shepherd from someone we know from church but have a few questions. All I really know at the moment is that the she is about 3 years old, fixed, house broken and knows a few basic commands. I need to meet her before making any decisions, we just lost our Great Dane three weeks... show more I am considering taking a German Shepherd from someone we know from church but have a few questions.

All I really know at the moment is that the she is about 3 years old, fixed, house broken and knows a few basic commands. I need to meet her before making any decisions, we just lost our Great Dane three weeks ago to cancer (she was the best dog I've ever owned).

The family that has her took her from someone that couldn't keep her so as far as I know they don't know if this dog comes from good breeding. I'm told she is a really good dog and if we took her and for whatever reason couldn't keep her, they would want her back (we have a cat). Of coarse if we take her we will take her to our vet for a check up.

O.K., now the questions:
We live outside Phoenix AZ, we don't keep our house as cool as many people do - Shepherds have such thick coats, will she be o.k. in a house kept at 82 to 85 degrees?
Update: How do Shepherds handle being in the sun? Could she go for daytime walks in AZ summer heat? I had to walk our Dane only at night in the summer, she did not like nor could handle being out in the sun for long. Is there any way to tell if a Shepherd could have hip or knee problems – or any other genetic health... show more How do Shepherds handle being in the sun? Could she go for daytime walks in AZ summer heat? I had to walk our Dane only at night in the summer, she did not like nor could handle being out in the sun for long.

Is there any way to tell if a Shepherd could have hip or knee problems – or any other genetic health problems this breed can get? What should we be looking for?

If you can help me with any part of this question, or have any suggestions on adopting an adult dog, I would be grateful –

Thanks in advance.
Update 2: The people that have this dog now say that she gets along with other dogs (they have two other dogs). They also have two children who seemed pretty bummed when we started talking about coming over and possibly taking 'Rosie'. So I'm guessing she isn't people aggressive However, I was told that... show more The people that have this dog now say that she gets along with other dogs (they have two other dogs).
They also have two children who seemed pretty bummed when we started talking about coming over and possibly taking 'Rosie'. So I'm guessing she isn't people aggressive However, I was told that this shepherd doesn't get along with other female shepherds - could that be a sign of dog aggression?
Update 3: My wife spoke with the woman that currently has the dog right now in more detail earlier this evening - we are going over to meet her tommarrow night.
Update 4: We brought the girl home - she is a really good girl! So far she seems to have taken to us pretty well - our cat hates for now but that is a question for the cat section. She is a little smaller than I imagined her to be, maybe she is a mix (?) but having a Dane, most dogs do look small to me. I'm guessing... show more We brought the girl home - she is a really good girl! So far she seems to have taken to us pretty well - our cat hates for now but that is a question for the cat section.

She is a little smaller than I imagined her to be, maybe she is a mix (?) but having a Dane, most dogs do look small to me. I'm guessing around 20" - 21" at her shoulders and about 50 lbs +/-.
The people we got from took her from have to dig up her shot records so when we get them this Sunday, I'll set up an appointment with are vet just for a check up and find out her actual ht. and wt. - and see if he thinks she is a full breed or not - doesn't matter to us, we just want a good, healthy dog.