Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Names for my characters?

Ok, I just got a little "plot bunny" (lol) and I really want to write it, but I'm picky and have to pick out names and things for my characters before I write them. I have some ideas (they're based off real people) but I'm just not sure.

1. The main character of the story, written from her POV. She's sort of insecure, but keeps that side very much to herself. She's loud and opinionated and some times come off as a... well, a b*tch. She pretty much uses these traits to cover up her insecurities. She has curly chesnut brown hair and I'm debating eye color. (Based off me, [Jessica] I was thinking the name Caitlin or Charlotte, but I'm not sure on those.)

2. The main character's best [female] friend. She's very confident in herself, and though is also very opinionated she isn't as outspoken about it as [insert main character's name here] She has dark hair and green eyes. (My friend who she's based off is name Monica)

(the last character is in the details since i'm outofcharacters)

3. The main characters best [male] friend. Many assume he’s homosexual though he’s never addressed the matter (not trying to sound mean or bashing here, sorry if I am though). He’s very funny, likes to joke around, and completely random. For example, you could be sitting eating lunch, conversation dead and looking down at his tray of food would just say “oranges are very round.” He’s very observant. He’s tall, pale blonde hair, and lots of freckles. (My friend he’s based off of is named Alec)

Thanks for any help anyone provides! I always have a tough time choosing names =/ Last names would be helpful too! But if not I can probably figure those out.

• Zhi Qi
    Favorite Answer

Names are easy to give!

I do it all the time with my characters ( I have about 50 or so, all for different stories :P)

Main character.. mmm

If you like Caitlyn or Charlotte, stick with them. Pick names that you immediately like - that's what I do.

Or, you could use your friends' real names (with the permission). Either that or just change them a little. E.g Monica -> Monique; Alec -> Alex.

If you like, you can find the meanings of names; find meanings that fit the person's personality. E.g: if the character is protective of their friends, go with Alexander or Sasha or something.

Check these sites - they have meaning searches, names from different origins and a search option for related names (useful to find names similar to one you like).

www.behindthename.com

www.surnames.behindthename.com

Good Luck!

I say use Jessica and Monica, change the last names of course, but being that you are basing them after you and your friend the further you get into your story the easier it will be to write,since you already have a close connection with your characters. Or go to this web site ;

http://www.kleimo.com/random/name.cfm

I use this a lot when I am looking for ideas for character names, it really helps and it gives you first and last names, it is very creative.

Finn Sage Alarna Aluna celeb Wren Willow Rain/Rayne Isla Saffron/Saffy India/Indy Indigo Thea Asha Esther Asia Aisha Macie Natalia Stella Callia Cara/Kara Aria Clara Lara Kitty could/Mai Penny Iris Ivy Acacia Zara solid luck with your e book :)

1/ Evelyn

2/ Cassandra

3/ Lucas

1. I prefer Caitlin

2. Melody

3. Andrew

The first names that came to mind when I read your descriptions.

1.Ashley or Jessica Gabriel

2.Mary Rafferty

3.Jacob Clarke

Hope i helped! Also, i think Catherine is a lot pretty name than Kaitlyn. :]

1. Cassie

2. Izzy

3. Ben

OMG i was reading about your first character and thought jessica!!! so i would say jessica but for the second one i was thinking amanda... its kind of outspoken to me

good luck.

1.) I was thinking .... Clara or Ruby?

2.) maybe ..... Catherine or Eliza?