Would I Be Able to Foster Parent?

Hello! Lately I heard that we are in desperate need for foster parents where I live, and I LOVE children, but I don't know if I would be able to. I'm only 21 years old, and I'm a single mother. I work from home and make enough to support my 2 year old and I, BUT I also already get help from the government with foodstamps and government-issued insurance for my son.

I LOVE my son, and I'm here for him whenever he needs me. I'm certified in first aid/cpr and was also a caregiver. I'm going to college, and my sister owns a daycare.

What type of stuff do they look for? Do I need to be older or have a "father figure" in the household?

Thanks for any info! :)

Favorite Answer

Just look for the requirements in your state. Hope this helps and best of luck =)

http://adoption.about.com/od/bystate/Fostering_By_...

Speaking in general, I think you would not be chosen as a foster parent at this time due to a mix of factors, many of which you have already touched on...your age, your financial situation. However, the easy way to find out is to call your state Children's Services division and ask their advice! Good luck.