Can somebody briefly explain some popular christian denominations to me?

There are so many different denominations with christianity and while I am a christian, I don't really understand the differences.

Catholic, protestant, baptist, church of christ, lutheran, methodist, preysbeterian.

those are the main ones i just want brief (like one-two sentances) explinations of.

just to give me some information, please.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Roman Catholic follows the Pope instead of the Bible. Roman Catholics won't like this answer, but that is the truth. Roman Catholics teach that they are the one true church, the rest won't make it.

Protestants and people who protest the errors introduced into the Roman Catholic Church since they don't follow the Bible. Protestants usually don't teach that their group is the ONLY true church. They are willing to admit that other denominations exist and that they have genuine believers also.

Baptists are protestants who believe the most important thing is that people should be Baptized in water after they become believers and that the practice of infant baptism is wrong.

In the USA Baptists are the largest group of Protestants although no one knows exactly how many different Baptist groups really exist. Southern Baptists are the largest flock of Baptists.

Church of Christ is a very exclusive group and they teach that they are ONLY true church and if you aren't baptized in their church you won't make it to heaven. Some Church of Christ people don't believe in musical insturments and this a really huge deal to them.

Church of Christ folks generally try to follow the New Testament only and they pretty much ignore the Old.

So all those insturments mentioned in Psalms 150 don't count even though 1 Corinthians tells you bring the Psalms into New Testament worship.

Lutherans were the first bunch of protestors of the Roman Catholics. Founded by Martin Luther, a Catholic Priest who nailed his 95 Thesis or complaints against Rome to a church door at Wittenberg, Germany on Oct 31, 1517 which marks the start of the Reformation.

Most Lutheran Churches today are pretty liberal and Martin Luther would turn over in his grave if he knew what the people who bare his name are up to.

Like for example the ELCA, the largest group of Lutherans in the USA are pro abortion and are starting to ordain gays to the ministry.

LCMS is more conservative.

WELS is the best of the large Lutheran Synods.

I was raised in what is now an ELCA Church.

www.elca.org

www.wels.org

www.lcms.org

Methodist church was founded by John and Charles Wesley in England 230 years ago. The United Methodists Church is very liberal today.

Presbyterians are known because they believe that churches should be run by Elders or Presbyters.

They baptize infants like Catholics and Lutheran but their beliefs otherwise are close to Baptists.

There are two major Presbyterian groups in America.

Presbyterian Church USA

and

Presbyterian Church in America.

One is somewhat Bible based and the other is very liberal.

I don't recall which is which.

See the link below for a list of 60 good Bible believing groups, although the Lutheran groups listed are really really small.

George Barna has done extensive surveys on this topic.

See this link and read it:

http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=BarnaUpdat...

Pastor Art

PS: There are at most 500 Christian denominations. I've seen the list by the people who claim there are 38,000 and they count each denomination again each time it appears in a new country and some denominations are counted again each time they appear in different states.

So the Roman Cathlic church is listed something like 190 times.

There are 57 different flavors of Baptist, times 216 different countries and you see where they come up with 38,000.

Source(s): http://www.nae.net/index.cfm?FUSEACTION=nae.member... 35 years experience being a Pastor including many as a campus Pastor where I got to know the denominational backgrounds of all the kids in my campus fellowship. Our attendanance hit 12,000 and that's how I got to know so much about denomintions in the USA. I am less knowledgable about denominations oversears.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Catholic - first Christian denomination, largest one at that. Believe that the head of the Church is Christ and that His representative is the pope. They ask saints to pray for them because they value prayers from humans AND angels. They believe that communion is the literal body and blood of Christ.

Protestant -

- a Christian that is NOT Catholic or Orthodox

- Someone who protests the Catholic Church

- Someone who started after the Catholic Church

Baptist - have no spiritual leader like the pope. They have a type of council called conventions in which they all vote together. Southern Baptist used to support slavery...All American Baptists (up north) were against it. Do communion once a month for the most part...they believe it SYMBOLIZES the body and blood.

Church of Christ - not too sure...sorry.

Lutheran - in scripture alone will you find answers. Faith alone can get you to Heaven. No spiritual leader...Councils? I'm not sure.

Methodist - Don't know much.

Presbyterian - they believe in a form of predestination. They feel that "God has a plan" for everyone. Do not believe that communion is literal, but symbolic. :D

• 3 years ago

Different Denomination Of Christianity

• FROG E
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's too long of an answer.....but basically it's differences in church doctrines.

Catholic, Baptist, Church of Christ, Lutheran, Methodist, and Presbyterian are Christian denominations.

Protestant is not a denomination...it is someone who protests the Catholic church.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • palko
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It relies upon in case you incorporate the early church, there have been fairly some Christian communities decrease back then which does no longer be seen Christian in the event that they sprang up immediately (The Gnostic cosmology became significantly diverse on how they considered the god of Abraham). maximum could accept as true with Jesus as "'son' of 'god'" and 'messiah', yet nonetheless, there is a few on the sides that don't. The resurrection is likewise an extremely worry-loose concept. Virgin beginning isn't that important. And what "unique sin" ability varies very plenty. that's a confusing taxonomy. that is like attempting to assert what's in worry-loose between an Reform Judaism, Orthodox Judaism, and Judaism as practiced formerly King Josiah. If I had to place it into words, i could say that all of them have faith that Jesus, a Jewish dude who lived in first century Levant, became uniquely important, divinely so, in forgiving mankind of their unsuitable nature. i think of that covers even the early gnostics. Oh, additionally he have been given achieved by using the government, undesrvingly so.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

some denominations believe that Jesus is coming before the tribulation, some after. you see, there are a lot of things that Christians may hold to opinions and not divide over. It is not what building or what you call yourself that will save you. I've heard that people make religion to reach God, and that God gave us Jesus to reach man.

well, here is a lil humor, and I hope that no one reads into this

1. How many CHARISMATICS does it take to change a light bulb?

TEN - One to change the bulb and nine to pray against the spirit of darkness.

2. How many CALVINISTS does it take to change a light bulb?

None - God has predestined when the light will be on. Calvinists do not change light bulbs. They simply read the instructions and pray that the light bulb will be one that has been chosen to be changed.

3. How many TV EVANGELISTS does it take to change a light bulb?

Only One. But for the message of light to continue, send in your donation today!

4. How many INDEPENDENT FUNDAMENTALISTS does it take to change a light bulb?

Only One, because any more might result in too much cooperation.

5. How many LIBERAL THEOLOGIANS does it take to change a light bulb?

At least ten, as they need to hold a debate on whether or not the light bulb exists. Even if they can agree upon the existence of the light bulb, they still might not change it, to keep from alienating those who might use other forms of light.

6. How many CATHOLICS does it take to change a light bulb?

None. They always use candles.

7. How many WORSHIP LEADERS who use guitars does it take to change a light bulb?

One. But soon all those around can warm up to its glowing.

8. How many UNITED METHODISTS does it take to change a light bulb?

In response to that question the denomination issued the following statement: "We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the need for a light bulb. However, if in your own journey you have found that a light bulb works for you, that is fine. You are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your personal relationship with your light bulb (or light source, or non-dark source), and present it next month at our annual light bulb Sunday service, in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, three-way, long life, halogen, and tinted -- all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence."

9. How many members of a BAPTIST church does it take to change a light bulb?

TEN - One to actually change the bulb, and nine to say how much better they liked the old one.

• 1 decade ago

There are Catholic Christians who are the original Christians.

Catholics believe

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in being with the Father. Through Him all things were made. For us men and our salvation He came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit, He was born of the Virgin Mary , and became man. For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate; He suffered, died, and was buried. On the third day He rose again in fulfillment of the scriptures: He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son, He is worshiped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

The rest of what you have named (plus 38,000 more denominations)are all Protestant denominations and each one has a different interetation of the bible

• 1 decade ago

Note: this document is in no way meant as a personal attack on your

religion

If you are easily offended, tough ****! ;-)

Taoism - **** happens.

Confucianism - Confucius say, "**** happens" .

Calvinism - **** happens because you don't work hard enough.

Buddhism - If **** happens, it isn't really ****.

Seventh Day Adventist - No **** on Saturdays.

Zen - What is the sound of **** happening?

Hedonism - There's nothing like good **** happening.

Hinduism - This **** happened before.

Mormon - This **** is going to happen again.

Islam - If **** happens, it is the will of Allah.

Moonies - Only happy **** really happens.

Stoicism - This **** is good for me.

Protestantism - Let **** happen to someone else.

Catholicism - If **** happens, I deserve it.

Hare Krishna - **** happens rama rama ding ding.

Judaism - Why does this **** always happen to us?

Zoroastrianism - There's good **** and there's bad ****.

Christian Science - **** is in your mind.

Atheism - I don't believe this ****.

Existentialism - What is **** anyway?

Nihilism - No ****!

Rastafarianism - Let's smoke this ****.

Church of England - Excrement occurs.

Wicca - **** happens to be good fertilizer.

Branch Davidianism - This **** really burns me up.

Jim Jones - Drink **** and die.

Schroedingerism - Cat **** does and doesn't happen.

Scientology - Does **** happen? (see page 169)

Televangelism - Send all your money or **** will happen.

Unitarianism - **** happens; discussion at 2:00 pm.

Apathist - I don't give a ****.

Agnosticism - I don't know ****.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Drunk, Schizophrenic, MPD (multiple Personality Disorder),

EVIL ANTI HUMANISTS<---(Lutherans) Boring, and lost but not least... Tall Tale Tellers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Lauren, you'll do better to consult Wikipedia. Really.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.