Anonymous

What Are The Disadvantages of Being a Grant Writing Consultant?

... As opposed to a full-time grant writer who is actually on the payroll. I already sense that it would be a raw deal.

What should be the typical asking price one should expect (or a percentage of the grant money) for the research and time involved in working on a campaign, regardless of whether it generated any award monies or not?

PLEASE anyone who has done this already, give me some helpful advice. I would kindly appreciate it.

Frankly, they would be taking a chance with me anyway, since I'm barely getting my foot in the door in the grant writing industry. However, I've already been a professional writer for 10 years.

• Favorite Answer

The Association of Fundraising Professionals, the national association for grant writers and others, does not support the idea of being paid a percentage of grant money; it is a violation of their ethical standards to do so:

http://www.afpnet.org/ethics/guidelines_code_stand...

I don't work with grant writing consultants unless they are a member of AFP, and many organizations feel likewise.

The disadvantages of being a consultant in any profession, as opposed to being hired by an organization, are having to provide your own health care, to always be looking for your next job, and to provide all of your own equipment and resources (including subscriptions to expensive databases like LexisNexis), as well as being seen as an outsider by staff members of the organization they are trying to support (can be hard to get them to provide the information needed to do your job).