The IRS held onto my check for over five months before cashing it & now it bounced?

The check was for year 2006 taxes, my taxes for that year were slightly off, by $21.20. So the IRS sent a letter in May of 2007 saying I need to pay them by May 28, 2007. I sent the check on time, then 4 months (August) later I moved to a different town and had to change banks, so I closed the account. Then they... show more The check was for year 2006 taxes, my taxes for that year were slightly off, by $21.20. So the IRS sent a letter in May of 2007 saying I need to pay them by May 28, 2007. I sent the check on time, then 4 months (August) later I moved to a different town and had to change banks, so I closed the account. Then they send me a letter last week, saying that they couldn't cash the check some point (but the account had money in it till I closed it on August 19th of 2007). Now I owe them roughly double???

This sounds a little unfair to me, there has got to be a solution? They can't do this, can they?

And, I realized its only $42 but I shouldn't have to pay that.