Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

When i got my 8 week old kitten, the previous owners were feeding the kittens adult wet food? Please help!!!?

When i say adult wet food i mean the whiskas meat for adult cats, now i thought that was wrong as there is a reason they sell kitten food it's lighter than the adult food for thier wee small tummies and it's got all the nutients in that kittens need, so when i got her home i swaped the whiskas adult food for the whiskas kitten food, now my poor wee kitty has soft poo-poo's, it's not like diarroeah, but more like a mister whippy ice-cream and when she's cleaning it up it's going every where, i've got an appointment for the vet in the morning but just wondering if this is anything to worry about mean time and when it will stop, Is her tummy sore? she's running about like a dafty and bright enough she has been sleeping more today (we have only had her three days) but i thought it was due to the fact she's a wee growing kitty and needs her sleep and it was quite warm, i've been making sure she has plenty to drink! Also is thier any trick to stop her getting it all over her back paws?

Update:

Right Kathryn you've got me FREAKING OUT BIG TIME here, it's not that i do not trust in what you are saying but if anyone else would like to back this up as i'm really worried now i only give my animals the best and have never heard of all this stuff you are saying, if you are correct then i'll change her food per my vets instructions, but OMG my poor kitty i don't want her eating all that s*** honestly someone help me out here AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGRAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Update 2:

Right ok i'm going to change her food, What is the best, healthest,safest way of doing so please? also how the hell do you get a god vet one that you can trust with your pets life and wellbeing? My daughter has a rare Kidney disease and we have a great consultants for her but it's harder for a vet, would you all agree?

Update 3:

I took my wee kitty to the vet today and allthough she did have the runs she is perfectly healthy, just from me stupidly changing her from adult to kitten allthough my vet did advise me that she should be on kitten food, but as i thought it didn't matter with it being the same brand and all, it made her have the runs, lesson learned, won't be doing that again! the vet gave me a white liquid called Kaogel, it helps to bind her up and help her get over the diaorreah, i will be changing her food but as i am from the UK most of the brands mentioned by you lovely people are not available to me but on the up side i now know what the foods should and shouldn't contain, so thank you for your help, i want her to have the best foods available to help keep her in top form, i will however be waitng until her tummy is better before i go changing it again! My main concern was that she could have became dehydrated, but she wasn't thank goodness, i'll go feed her now and give her medicene, thanks

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't worry. This doesn't sound like an emergency and the vet should be able to give you advice tomorrow.

As for the messy feet, in my experience kittens just learn to be more careful about this as they get older. I've had this problem with a couple of my kitties, but it they both seemed to figure it out within a week or two. Best thing is to keep some baby wipes handy to wipe off her feet whenever it happens.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I have a kitten and i thought the same also! I was buying kitten specific food and found that she would only eat a few mouthfuls and would prefer to eat buscuits instead. Once i decided to try the adult food, she absolutely loved it! I guess it comes down to your cat's preference. I dont think there is any problem in giving a kitten 'adult' food. My kitten could never eat a whole tin in one go so i give her a third and so it lasts three nights. The change in diet might be causing her poos to change but her body will probably get used to it. If you are still concerned i would take her to the vet.

I agree with Ken, there is no difference between adult and kitten specific food. It is all a marketing ploy! I bet it even tastes as horible as baby food, which is why my kitten wont eat it. She has been eating adult food for months and is totally fine and healthy. Sure the product says it delivers all these special ingredients that kittens 'need' but they use the same tactics when selling human food too. And i bet you all dont believe everything your being told when you read the label on a product you are buying. So threadstarter, Im sure you will find that there is no problem with feeding your kitten adult food, as i have also found.

• Ken
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Hi

I am sorry, you are wring. There really isn;t much difference between kiten adult senior indoor, outdoor. IOt's all a buynch of crap an one just to sell. If you want the proff I can show you the breakown in many brands.

Please feed canned foods no gravy. No kitty crack (dry foods) For the diahrrea, you mcan get some acidoupholous from a health food store an sprinbkle some over the food.

Vets aren't that great on nutrtion. Do NOT let him selll you the stuff they sell. If they try, ask him what the first 3 ingrediants are in the food they are trying to sell and i will bet they don't know. Here is some info on nutrtion

Nutrition since there are so many bad things out there is very important to your cat’s health

Contrary to what you may have heard; dry foods are not a great thing to feed a cat.

Please read the label on what you are feeding? What are the ingredients? Do you know what they mean? Is the first ingrdiant a muscle meat like chicken or meal or other things?

http://www.catinfo.org/#Learn_How_To_Read_a_Pet_Fo...

http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring04/Perhach/P...

Dry foods are the number 1 cause of diabetes in cats as well as being a huge contributing factor to kidney disease, obesity, crystals, u.t.i’s and a host of other problems. Food allergies are very common when feeding dry foods. Rashes, scabs behind the tail and on the chin are all symptoms

The problems associated with Dry food is that they are loaded with grains and carbohydrates which many cats (carnivores) cannot process. Also, Most of the moisture a cat needs is suppose to be in the food but in

Dry, 95% of it is zapped out of dry foods in the processing. Another thing, most use horrible ingredients and don't use a muscle meat as the primary ingredient and use vegetable based protein versus animal. Not good for an animal that has to eat meat to survive.

http://www.catinfo.org/#My_Cat_is_Doing_Just_Fine_...

You want to pick a canned food w/o gravy (gravy=carbs) that uses a muscle meat as the first ingredient and doesn't have corn at least in the first 3 ingredients if at all. The best food for cats does not contain any grains at all.

Fancy feast is a middle grade food with 9lives, friskies whiskas lower grade canned and wellness and merrick upper grade human quality foods. I would rather feed a middle grade canned food then the top of the line dry food.

Also, dry food is not proven to be better for teeth. Does a hard pretzel clean your teeth or do pieces of it get stuck? http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch4a.php

Please read about cat nutrition.

http://www.newdestiny.us/nutritionbasics.html

http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm#Dry_Food...

Vetinarian diets The reason your vet thinks so highly of the pet food they sell probably has more to do with money than nutrition. In vet school, the only classes offered on nutrition usually last a few weeks, and are taught by representatives from the pet food companies. Vet students may also receive free food for their own dogs and cats at home. They could get an Iams notebook, a Purina purse and some free pizza. http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring04/Perhach/P...

• 1 decade ago

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!! Kittens do not need to be eating adult food. They need KITTEN food until they're at least 1 yr old!

Anytime you change the diet of a cat (or kitten), their tummies take a few days to adjust. This is normal.......just like humans who've been on a diet, then go "out" and eat a big meal.....their tummies REBEL BIG TIME!! I know this from experience! :-)

Also, the wet food will cause looser / runnier poop, because there's so much water in it. Set out a bowl of DRY KITTEN food, for her to "nibble" on throughout the day, and her poop should start to firm up. The more liquid that goes in, the more liquid comes out.....even in the poop!

As for getting it on her back feet, clean her litterbox asap, when she "goes", so that she isn't stepping in it. The deeper the litter, the less likely she'll be to get it on her feet.

It's good that you're taking her to the vet......in case she has worms or Coccidia. Coccidia sometimes acts like this, but is easily diagnosed and treated.

Enjoy your new baby................hope everything is ok.

Source(s): 50+yrs cats, kittens / "issues"
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You are absolutely right in getting her off the wet adult cat food. 1st constant feeding of wet food causes their teeth to rot away. 2nd just like you thought their tummys need the nutrients that they get from kitten food. It is because you switched food period that she got the runs. Any time you make a drastic switch in their food they can and often do get the runs. as far as clean feet her mommy didn't teach her too well how to clean herself. You'll just have to keep a wet rag handy to wipe her off, show her that she needs to clean herself, and she will get better at it. If she is sleeping more that's two reasons one is the playing and running around she's been doing, and two is because she is starting to trust you more.

Purina 1 kitten formula is really great kitten food.

• 1 decade ago

Change in food can result in loose stools. Whiskas is the lowest of the low in cat food - wet or dry so really consider using something of better quality. Wellness is readily available now an reasonably priced. Use the ones without fish for now - beef, chicken, turkey. CA Natural has a chicken and rice and a venison and rice (my cats and kittens like that).

When a mother cat weans her kittens she doesn't bring them special "kitten mice". A quality cat food is just as good as any kitten food. Wholesome meat protein is the key for ooptimum health in ANY cat.

Also with kittens they have to be wormed and worms can cause soft stools so take a fresh fecal samply with you for the vet visit.

• 1 decade ago

She may be having loose stools because of the change in food, kittens are very sensitive to that. The vet will check her stool for any parasites, and if needed give her some medication that will help. If she is very active she will be fine until your vet sees her, but if she becomes lethargic and seems sick, give your vet a call to see if you need to bring her in sooner.

Enjoy your kitten, she is lucky to have someone who cares about her as much as you do!

• 1 decade ago

A kitten has different requirements for growth and health to that of an adult cat, so by a;ll means stop the adult food.

Secondly, wet food should be fed to s kitten since they definitely cannot deal with dry foods so well yet, and dry food are really not that healthy for them at all! If you HAVE to do dry foods, mix in wet with it, until herr tummy settles, then give her more wet than dry. Dry foods can lead in many more cases to hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease), diabetes, nonallergic skin conditions, and even urinary tract disorders.

Dry foods do not keep teeth clean at all, that's a complete myth, ask any vet who cleans the teeth of a dry-fed cat.

Here are six diseases that have been directly linked to dry cat food:

1. Cancer - intestinal cancer in cats is a huge problem that could be solved if only people didn't feed their cats dry food. Stomach cancer is also a very common diagnosis for cats that are fed a primarily dry cat food diet. The processing of the grains creates toxins like acrylamide and others that have been known to cause cancer.

2. Digestive problems - people (vets included) seem to think it's normal - cats and digestive problems go hand in hand - but it doesn't have to be that way. Chronic diarrhea in cats, vomiting, bloody stool in cats, are all caused by the poor nutrition in the dry cat food. Those symptoms, chronic diarrhea in cats and vomiting are just your cat's body trying to eliminate the toxins and unhealthy food quickly. The dry cat food is essentially poisoning your cat and the cat's body is reacting by trying to get the poisons out.

3. Obesity - cats are not meant to be fat. I know the media portrays a funny image of big, fat, lazy cats, but it's no laughing matter when your cat starts getting other weight related illnesses and your vet bills go up or your cat dies. Basically, there are too many carbohydrates in dry cat food. The little cat's body can't process all that starch and it turns directly to fat. If you have a fat cat and you are trying those dry cat food "weight-loss" formulas and they just aren't working, try switching to canned food, your cat will eat less and will get better nutrition, the weight will come off.

cats-eating.jpg

4. Kidney disease in cats - Cats are not big on drinking water, think about it, in the wild, cats get most of the moisture they need from the animals they kill and eat. The blood, meat and organs all contain moisture so it is rare that cats need to get a drink. So here we go feeding cats dry food with very little moisture and hope they drink enough to compensate. It just doesn't happen, so cats are dehydrated, stones and kidney disease develop more often than it should.

5. Urinary tract disease - closely linked to kidney disease in cats - not enough moisture in the food causes inflammation and disease. Just feeding your cat canned food, even non prescription canned food protects your cat from Urinary Tract Disease.

6. Diabetes - high carbs in people and in cats causes diabetes. Even the so called "low Carb" formulas are still too high for your cat. All dry food requires starch to make it dry and the processing makes it like "candy" for your cats rather than nutritionally sound meals. So feeding your cat dry food is like feeding them candy all the time and we all know that no one can live on candy alone!

lots-of-cats-eating.jpg Please, for the sake of your cat's health and for your pocketbook, start feeding your cat canned or homemade food. You'll save money in the long run and improve the quality of your cat's life.

http://www.facekitty.com/2008/04/six-diseases-caus...

Source(s): 35+ years of cats & rescues
  • 1 decade ago

You need to get her off Whiskas ASAP! That food is terrible!

Ingredients:

Chicken By-product Meal*, Corn Gluten Meal (source of Lutein)*, Ground Yellow Corn*, Rice, Soybean Meal*, Animal Fat (preserved with BHA/BHT)?!, Natural Poultry Flavor?, Wheat Flour*, Vitamins and Minerals?, Wheat Gluten*, Caramel Color?, Turkey By-product Meal*, Whitefish Meal, Lycopene, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Marigold Meal, Ethoxyquin (a preservative)!.

The ones with * next to them are fillers. Your cat does not want these or need these. Byproducts include eyes, brains, beaks, feet, feathers, etc. Cat's can not digest corn. They just poop it out. Soy is bad for cats. It's a major source of allergens.

Things with ? next to them mean we really don't know what this is. Animal fat could be anything. It could even be euthanized cats and dogs from overcrowded shelters. Poultry could be any kind of bird, so it's kinda not that great. It should say chicken or turkey fat. Wheat is not needed either. Carmel color could be anything as well.

!!!!! WARNING!!!!!!

BHA, BHT and Ethoxyquin are DANGEROUS preservatives. They cause CANCER in cats and dogs. You should NEVER feed your pet anything with those ingredients in them.

"BHA has been banned in Japan because Japanese studies found it to cause cancerous tumors in rats’ fore-stomachs and in hamsters. Some European countries highly restrict the use of BHA and BHT, because of potential safety reasons..."

Those preservatives are HIGHLY carcinogenic!! It's been proven in lab rats and some countries ban the use of them. It's also been show in cats and dogs.

Overpriced Junky Brands:

Iams

Science Diet

Royal Canin

Eukanuba

9 Lives

Friskies

Whiskas

Nutro

Fancy Feast

Yummy great brands:

Innova

Blue Buffalo

Halo

Before Grain

Merrick

Wellness

Felidae

Things you don't want in a Cat Food:

Corn

Gluten

Wheat

Brewers Rice/Grain

Dyes

Preservatives/ BHA or BHT

By Products

Digest

Edited for you:

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/eleventh/profiles...

""Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) is reasonably anticipated to be a

human carcinogenbased on sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in

experimental animals (IARC 1986, 1987). When administered in the

diet, butylated hydroxyanisole induced papillomas and squamous cell

carcinomas of the forestomach in rats of both sexes and male Syrian

Golden hamsters.""

BHT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butylated_hydroxytolu...

""Concerns have been raised about the use of BHT in food products. The compound has been banned for use in food in Japan (1958), Romania, Sweden, and Australia. The US has barred it from infant foods. Some food industries have voluntarily eliminated it from their products. However, BHT is also marketed as a health food supplement in capsule form. In different studies, BHT has been reported to cure some cancers, but to encourage others. BHT is well studied because of public concern over synthetic preservatives. BHT was largely removed from food in the 1970s, to be replaced with the less well studied BHA.""

Ethoxyquin:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27297

""The once popular, and staunchly defended as safe, preservative (antioxidant) called "Ethoxyquin" has been mostly abandoned because of "hushed" litigation and settlements with professional breeders. It formerly was championed by pet food manufacturers (and others) as an advanced and healthy inclusion in pet food in an attempt to hide the fact that it was never intended to be eaten, much less on a daily basis. It was originally formulated as a rubber stabilizer and a color retention agent. Tires stayed pliable and spices stayed red. Despite efforts to get it approved as a food stabilizing agent in people food, it is only allowed for extremely limited application with colored spices. The people who know the devastating truth about this ingredient when eaten daily by pets have been paid off and forced to never tell their stories. There are innumerable instances of stillbirth, sudden liver failure, kidney dysfunction, permanent pigment changes, tumors and death thought to be caused by the addition of this wonder substance to pet food starting in about 1987. Much of the talk about ethoxyquin has quieted since the major pet food companies jumped off the bandwagon and switched to safer (and less legally troublesome) preservatives like forms of vitamins C. If they want the trust of the public, they should own up to their mistakes and come clean. Fat chance. All you'll get is denial.""

General article:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2001/301_pet.html

To switch to a better food:

Slowly mix the good food into the Whiskas. Try Wellness Kitten Health or Blue Buffalo kitten food. Use that stuff to get started. Over a 2 week period, slowly add more of the good stuff to Whiskas. Go threw one or two bags of either of those kinds of food, then it's okay to transition to a high protein, low carb diet. Blue Buffalo Wilderness is what my kittens start on once they are over 10 weeks and already used to eating a healthy diet.

Trust me, I used to feed Whiskas and brands like that, then I found a website called www.pets.ca and on their forums I learned ALOT. They got me to switch over so soon because they showed how all the kinds of junk that go into commercial pet food is just so bad for them. It saves alot of money in the long run. Less on vet bills, dental bills.... and a hidden bonus... you have to buy less cat litter! The cats will eat less, digest more and poop less. Therefore, you have to buy less for AND less cat litter.

Good luck...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.