Horrible pain in shoulder?

a little over a week ago i woke up with a sore neck. i figured i slept on it wrong. the neck pain lasted a couple of days. and the pain moved down to my shoulder. as the days go by it seems to be getting worse, not better. my shoulder hurts so bad. it aches and throbs. seems to spasm sometimes. it feels like the... show more a little over a week ago i woke up with a sore neck. i figured i slept on it wrong. the neck pain lasted a couple of days. and the pain moved down to my shoulder. as the days go by it seems to be getting worse, not better. my shoulder hurts so bad. it aches and throbs. seems to spasm sometimes. it feels like the muscle is so tight. and feels like i have a 50 pound weight on my shoulder. it hurts to lift my arm. or even move it. i get shooting pains if i move or lift a certain way. the pain seems to get a lot worse at night. i've been treating it with icy hot patches and hot packs. taking ibuprofen and tylenol. and it doesn't seem to be helping. my husband is telling me to go to the doctor. but im stubborn and don't want to waste my time and money if all they are going to tell me is to continue what im doing and rest my shoulder. by the way....i don't remember doing anything to injure my shoulder. anyone have any idea what could be going on with me?
Update: i've tried massage too. but the pain seems deeper than what the massage can get to.